1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

I love Greek seafood dishes. When I am in Greece, there is such a variety! I don't live in Greece, so I try to find options. As far as I can tell, these are some of the top seafood types I can find where I live that are great in Greek cuisine.

Octopus: Called htapodi in Greek, octopus is so common! I saw it everywhere when I went to Greece, and it was always on the menu in seacoast areas. I love it alongside Greek salad as a mezze. I can get octopus at home to make!

Swordfish: Called xifias in Greek, swordfish is one of the most popular types of seafood in Greece. It is a large, meaty fish that is known for its delicious taste and firm texture. I have had it in Greece grilled or served alongside fresh Mediterranean herbs and vegetables.

Anchovies: Known as gavros in Greek, anchovies are a popular ingredient in many Greek dishes. They have a bad rep here in the United States but I love how they taste! These tiny salted fish are a common ingredient in the classic Greek salad as well as stews and casseroles.

Calamari: Calamari is also popular in Greece and I can also easily find it at home. These little rings (known as kalamari) are coated in flour and fried until they are golden-brown and crispy on the outside, yet tender on the inside. Seasoned with lemon, garlic, and parsley, calamari is a must-have appetizer for seafood lovers.

Sardines: Popularly known as sardelles in Greece, sardines are common in Greece, and I have eaten them from time to time. The fish is often grilled and seasoned with herbs such as oregano before being topped with a generous amount of Greek olive oil. I think I may have also had them fried. I can sometimes find fresh sardines at home to cook. I personally love it with ladolemono.

What other seafood can I get in the United States that are common in Greece?

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..
I love lavraki (branzino). My family used to use it for a plaki-style dish. My favorites are mussels, lobster, crab, lavraki, and "mullet" which I find in Greece a lot. I really just like to do whatever is fresh. Oh yes, and fresh anchovies, too!

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back