1 - 6 of 6 Posts

blopez34

I found some Myzithra cheese in a Greek market - to my knowledge, I have never had it before. Or, it could be that I don't know much about it.

How do Greeks typically use this cheese? I tastes some, and it is on the harder side. I can picture it being grated and tasting great on pasta. Other than that, how is it I used? Are there any dishes that include it?

I found some Myzithra cheese in a Greek market - to my knowledge, I have never had it before. Or, it could be that I don't know much about it.

How do Greeks typically use this cheese? I tastes some, and it is on the harder side. I can picture it being grated and tasting great on pasta. Other than that, how is it I used? Are there any dishes that include it?
Myzithra is a very sharp cheese, it's not for eating, like some feta, which stands fine on its own. Best use I know for myzithra is on Greek macaroni, with the kappama sauce, cinnamon and myzithra. Think that's the way it's mostly used, but probably good along with anything that has kappama.

Reactions: blopez34
Myzithra is a very sharp cheese, it's not for eating, like some feta, which stands fine on its own. Best use I know for myzithra is on Greek macaroni, with the kappama sauce, cinnamon and myzithra. Think that's the way it's mostly used, but probably good along with anything that has kappama.
Thank you, I will first try it with Greek macaroni dishes and see how I like it. I tried having a little bit by itself and it was strong - so seems better in small amounts?

It's not an "eating" cheese, like others that taste good on their own. You can be generous with it on Greek macaroni. Not sure if it's been mentioned here but along with kappama sauce, brown butter is wonderful on Greek macaroni, and, of course, the myzithra.

I love, love it on pasta dishes with a sturdy tomato sauce, and I even sneak onto some rice dishes. I also sometimes add just a tiny amount in my tiropita - it gives it a little something extra!

Reactions: Luana
I love, love it on pasta dishes with a sturdy tomato sauce, and I even sneak onto some rice dishes. I also sometimes add just a tiny amount in my tiropita - it gives it a little something extra!
What a great idea in the tiropita! Never thought of it and will give it a try--and in some rice. Thanks!

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back