1 - 7 of 7 Posts

tomipark

The Nautical Museum of Sami in Kefalonia was established by a resident of Sami named Sotiris Marketos who is a sailor’s son who developed a fascination for shipbuilding and the sea. He would go on the serve the Greek shipping industry for over three decades. He was concerned that his naval town didn’t have a nautical museum and decided to create one. You can learn about shipbuilding, the different types of vessels, the environment, and creatures of the area. View wooden models of vessels that span the course of 3,500 years. These vessels are made by Sortiris Marketos himself.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
The Nautical Museum of Kefalonia is truly an amazing place to visit.

Here is more information:

isolegreche

Really fantastic museum... Great owner!

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

isolegreche

No, I was referring to Sotiris Marketos, the owner of the museum.

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

k_tsoukalas

No, I was referring to Sotiris Marketos, the owner of the museum.
That's very cool, that you know the owner personally. He put together a great collection.

Arbutus berries are Kefalonias Christmas time fruit that can be used for anything!

You will find these strawberry like berries all over the island during Christmas time! They can be used to make jams and a variety of fruit and even eaten plain as a snack! Some people like to make a sweet liquor with it or mix it in to popular Greek liquors like ouzo. Many locals will decorate their house with branches of the berries, I guess you could say its a Kefalonia version of wreaths and mistletoe. I believe in Greek its called koúmara but I'm not too sure, if there are any Greek speakers on this forum please help me out!

Melissani cave is to die for

This cave is just so stunning, I have visit ASAP!

Melissani-Cave-720x480.jpg

Is Kefalonia expensive in comparison to other Greek islands?

What are the prices like of hotels, food, and experiences? Is it affordable?

Municipality of Kefalonia

Hi there!
I hope everyone is healthy and safe! I do ancestry research, my grandfather was born on Kefalonia. I am looking for contact information for the municipality of Kefalonia to locate records. Does anyone have contact info?

Best Regards,

Sandy

Assos is the best seaside village in Kefalonia

Assos is one of the best spots to visit in Kefalonia because you get a small town village vibe but its right by the water!

Kefalonia-720x480.jpg
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter