1 - 4 of 4 Posts

d_kakavouli

While we are in Greece this year, we will be visiting some people that live on Crete.

They are very generous to us, and very nice people.

Basically we are there for a cruise stop this year, and they will be picking us up for dinner at their house.

We want to give them a gift. Any ideas? Is it appropriate to give a gift?

This is a great question. I would love to hear from Greek people themselves what they most like to receive!

It’s definitely appropriate to bring a gift, especially if you’re having dinner at their home. I try to bring gifts (in general) that are unique to my home, but with the availability of goods worldwide, that’s getting harder to do, so I just try to pick out something that I hope they’ll like. For a dinner, you could bring a nice bottle of wine or some sweets. Maybe your cruise ship could arrange something, or you could pick up something at your previous stopover. Being invited to a dinner is such an honor and fun!

Greek custom is that you never go to someone's place empty-handed (it's viewed as rude unless you're a tourist).

Usually you just take a cake or some other kind of sweets to someone... Something from your country would be preferable over something from Greece.. several different chocolates or anything you've learned about your friends that you think they might like.

If you're in the USA andIf they have kids, get them marshmallows or the stuff to make stores. Greek marshmallows taste completely different than American marshmallows, and they will go crazy over them.

My gut is to try to bring something even if you have to grab a bottle of wine from the ship or something... I certainly wouldn't go empty handed. Or, you can bring them a small gift from home - I don't know what honestly I think wine is a really good choice.

Getting a Greek costume made?

I'm looking to have a traditional Greek costume made, and I want to ensure that it is as authentic and high-quality as possible.

It's for festival season but I don't know if I am in over my head. This could be anything from the iconic fustanella worn by men to the beautifully embroidered dresses seen in various regions across Greece. I’m open to suggestions on materials, designs, and specific regional styles that would make for a remarkable and authentic piece.

Could anyone here recommend a tailor or a shop—either within Greece or internationally—that specializes in creating traditional Greek clothing? It’s essential that they pay great attention to detail and use high-quality materials to capture the spirit and beauty of Greek traditional attire.

Additionally, if you have any advice on what specifics I should communicate to the tailor to ensure authenticity, or if you know of any resources where I could find patterns or detailed descriptions of traditional costumes, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Naming Customs of Greece, From Ancient Times to Today -

Learning about hospitality in Greece

I was trying to explain to some non-Greek friends about hospitality in Greece. I feel like it's next level, but how do you explain it?

Could anyone help me explain any of the following:
  • Traditional welcome gestures in Greece
  • Common household customs when visiting a Greek home
  • Etiquette for showing appreciation to Greek hosts
  • Any specific do's and don'ts that a foreigner should be aware of

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back