1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I would love to spend my time in Kefalonia hopping from bakery to bakery! What desserts do you recommend for someone who has a sweet tooth? Thanks :)

I am not sure which desserts might be good in Kefalonia, but here is a good list of Greek desserts to try when you visit Greece :)

There are great desserts everywhere and most Greek bakeries have a combination of the tried and true favorites like baklava, and some more innovative offerings. While in Kefalonia consider trying desserts like baklava, kouloura (traditional cookies), and whatever else you see in the bakeries that capture your attention. You really can't go wrong!

So, my mother would make this cookie called the Mandola (almost cookie). It is from her side I think I might have Kefalonian roots. Anyway, when I was in Kefalonia a long time ago, I seem to recall the cookie was all over the island. I didn't make the connection at the time that this could be some evidence for my family being from Kefalonia. I have since been to other parts of Greece and I don't see this cookie as much. While on the island, consider eating this cookie, it's delicious! Of course, I like my mom's better (haha, isn't that always the way?!)

Reactions: nadellii
So, my mother would make this cookie called the Mandola (almost cookie). It is from her side I think I might have Kefalonian roots. Anyway, when I was in Kefalonia a long time ago, I seem to recall the cookie was all over the island. I didn't make the connection at the time that this could be some evidence for my family being from Kefalonia. I have since been to other parts of Greece and I don't see this cookie as much. While on the island, consider eating this cookie, it's delicious! Of course, I like my mom's better (haha, isn't that always the way?!)
I love Mandolas!! These are so great, especially when they're made with real almonds and not the fake tasting almond extract

Do you have the recipe for Mandola? Cannot seem to find one

Reactions: greek_ggirl
I don't have a recipe but the ingredients are : Sugar, Almond, Caramel (sugar - glucose - honey), Lemon juice, Butter
I believe the are originals from Kefalonia.
They are candied almonds, I don't think " dessert" is a correct description.

Reactions: greggd12
I don't have a recipe but the ingredients are : Sugar, Almond, Caramel (sugar - glucose - honey), Lemon juice, Butter
I believe the are originals from Kefalonia.
They are candied almonds, I don't think " dessert" is a correct description.
I see, im googling some images now... are the candied almonds red?

Yes mostly red but not always .

Good Kefalonia Beaches for Late Summer?

I am headed to Kefalonia in late summer - August/September. I am wondering which beaches are best this time of year? I heard that these beaches were good - Myrtos Beach, Antisamos Beach, and Skala Beach. Are any of these good at that time of year?

Making Christopsomo- Christmas Bread

I will be traveling to Greece this Christmas and I want to make some Christopsomo to give to my family when I go. I have never made it and want to run something by you - do these ingredients look right? It looks very similar to tsoureki to me but with a lot of spices. I am also nervous there's too much flour in the recipe.

- 8 cups or so of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of honey

What to do in Corfu for couples?

My partner and I are planning a romantic getaway to Corfu, Greece, and we're looking for some insider tips on the best experiences for couples. We've heard so much about Corfu's natural beauty and rich history, but we're hoping to tailor our itinerary to include activities that are especially romantic.

We're open to anything, whether it's relaxing on secluded beaches, exploring charming villages, enjoying candlelit dinners with stunning views, or embarking on adventurous excursions together. Ideally, we'd love to find a balance between leisurely, romantic moments and exciting adventures that we can share as a couple.

If you were us, what would you do while on the island?

Top Attractions in Kefalonia

Planning a trip to kefalonia next year. I want to see the turtles - I was thinking of going at the end of June. Does this make sense to see the turtles?

In addition I want to see the following - did I miss anything?

- Melissani Cave
- Skala Beach (and other beaches)
- Castle of Agios Georgios

Anything else I should prioritize?

Best beaches in Kefalonia for families?

I'm in the process of planning what I hope to be an unforgettable family vacation to the beautiful island of Kefalonia. With its stunning landscapes and inviting sea, I can't think of a better place to spend quality time with the family.

However, as we all know, not all beaches are created equal, especially when it comes to finding spots that are both beautiful and suitable for families. Factors like gentle waves, shallow waters, accessibility, and nearby facilities (such as restrooms and places to eat) can make all the difference in ensuring a stress-free and enjoyable day at the beach for both parents and kids.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have for beaches that fit this bill. Our family loves a mix of adventures and relaxation, so suggestions for beaches with a bit of both would be fantastic. Are there any particular spots that have captured your heart due to their beauty, safety, and family-friendly amenities?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back