1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kcixcy

I've been in quarantine since someone at my work got covid so I'm trying to brush up on my Greek! My husband's family is Greek and I'm trying to connect with them a bit more and try to learn more Greek than just the basics. Any advice would be super helpful, efharisto!

I find that the best way to practice a language is to watch TV shows! I recommend any Greek soap operas with English subtitles. You can find most of them on youtube

You can find online tutors through Italkie.com! I used it to brush up on my French

I find that the best way to practice a language is to watch TV shows! I recommend any Greek soap operas with English subtitles. You can find most of them on youtube
Truly best advice....I learnt Greek by watching TV and and old movies and soaps.....then asking friends and you will get the hang of it.... when it will come it will fall in place... easy to navigate later on... Yasou apo mena from Thailand.... Kalley Mera.

Reactions: cf_fraiser
Truly best advice....I learnt Greek by watching TV and and old movies and soaps.....then asking friends and you will get the hang of it.... when it will come it will fall in place... easy to navigate later on... Yasou apo mena from Thailand.... Kalley Mera.
Thanks! Yes old movies are great, my favorite old Greek movie is Antigone

Reactions: Hash
I have been learning French, via a link called DUOLINGO, I have found it a brilliant site, much better than a tutor I tried the first year or my quest to learn French, it is completely free. It teaches you any language, try it.

I have been learning French, via a link called DUOLINGO, I have found it a brilliant site, much better than a tutor I tried the first year or my quest to learn French, it is completely free. It teaches you any language, try it.
I love Duolingo! It's great for learning small phrases that you can start practicing right away

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back