1 - 3 of 3 Posts

acamp7

I want to start making spoon sweets - I haven't tried before! Do you guys have any favorites? Any recipes to share? I think I will try the spoon sweet with citrus peel - I just bought a bag of organic oranges and can't wait to try. I have to track down a recipe first... I guess the oranges are a great start!

I suspect I will need:
  • orange peels
  • honey
  • sugar
  • water
Should I use any spices, like cinnamon or clove?

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Star anise and cardamom are good spice to use with orange.

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Star anise and cardamom are good spice to use with orange.
Thank you! That sounds delicious - I think it might be worth having these on hand.

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Simple Greek Desserts to Try?

I am not a baker really but I love eating sweets, in small amounts, after dinner.

I am trying to find some recipes! Does anyone have a good recipe for that chocolate cracker log thing? I have heard it called "Salami" and also "mosaiko". It has crackers (or biscuit cookies really), cocoa powder, there ingredients I forget. I watched someone make it once...

Also, I do eat fruit, dried fruit, Greek yogurt with honey, etc for dessert sometimes. Any other ideas?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube