1 - 8 of 8 Posts

francescool

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?
A lot of Greeks also call the candy coated white almond candy "koufeta". In fact, I have never seen chocolate candies called Koufeta. Does it maybe depend on the family or region of Greece as to what is called koufeta? I am in the Greek diaspora in the Northeast (near Lowell, MA).

Koufeta is candy that you give out at weddings, and it doesn't mean one particular type of candy.

I was just at a wedding in Nafplio last weekend and their koufeta was candy coated almonds. At my wedding the koufeta will be chocolate covered walnuts, sour cherry, orange, and stracciatella. We're also giving out a small bottle of olive oil to match the theme (olives)

Traditionally, the koufeta are the almonds, but when you walk into a store to pick out your bοbonieres (the wedding favor - typically a bag with koufeta, but really it can be anything such as a bag, a box, or anything you can think of) you will generally have several options of koufeta to choose from

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl
Koufeta is candy that you give out at weddings, and it doesn't mean one particular type of candy.

I was just at a wedding in Nafplio last weekend and their koufeta was candy coated almonds. At my wedding the koufeta will be chocolate covered walnuts, sour cherry, orange, and stracciatella. We're also giving out a small bottle of olive oil to match the theme (olives)

Traditionally, the koufeta are the almonds, but when you walk into a store to pick out your bοbonieres (the wedding favor - typically a bag with koufeta, but really it can be anything such as a bag, a box, or anything you can think of) you will generally have several options of koufeta to choose from
I love these favors, they are so unique!! Beautiful theme of olives as well. Is straciatella like the Italian cheese? Or are you referring to something else?

I love these favors, they are so unique!! Beautiful theme of olives as well. Is straciatella like the Italian cheese? Or are you referring to something else?
It's like the ice cream in Italy- a milk based cream with chocolate flakes in it

Reactions: cf_fraiser
It's like the ice cream in Italy- a milk based cream with chocolate flakes in it
Sounds amazing, I think this is a recipe for those who might want to make it

This is what our bobonieres and koufeta look like. Only two of the koufeta we're giving out are shown on this box (skryos and ithaki)

20220617_095505.jpg20220617_095516.jpg20220617_095315.jpg

Reactions: francescool

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Greek tradition of hanging onions on the door?

I just came from my friend's house and I saw there were onions hanging on the door! I asked them about it and learned it was a New Year's tradition. Here's what my research pulled out:

The Greek New Year is celebrated on the 1st of January, but the preparations for the celebration begin on the New Year’s Eve. As per tradition, the Greeks hang onions outside their house, balcony, or anywhere visible to attract good fortune, prosperity, and luck. The onions are hung, infused with various symbols like coins, bread, honey, and olives, representing prosperity, food, and success. This concept reminds the Greeks of their grandmothers, who hung onions outside their homes and gatherings during special occasions, especially New Year’s Eve.

Beyond the symbolic value of the onions, for Greeks, hanging onions also has medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Onions can purify the air and keep away harmful bacteria and impurities due to their sulfur compounds. Additionally, they are believed to have great health benefits and can help boost your immunity, reduce the risk of cancer, and regulate cholesterol levels.

Hanging onions is also a fun activity that the family enjoys together. Everyone gathers around and writes their wishes on the onions and ties them with a red thread, symbolizing good fortune. The onion is then hung outside the house, allowing the wishes to come true. The onions can also be collected at a later stage and used for cooking, acting as a souvenir that remains with the family for the rest of the year.

The notion of hanging onions is an ancient tradition in Greece, and the country takes pride in it. The ritual dates back to ancient Greece, where they were hung on doors and windows to keep away evil spirits and other unwanted energies. In Greece, the land of myths and legends, the onion symbolizes the new life that arises from the depths of the earth, representing hope, fertility, and growth.

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back