1 - 10 of 10 Posts

nm1999

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?

Reactions: Hash
WOW what a big question to ask LOL!

Here are several topics to consider (that quickly come to mind!):

- Top Inventions from Ancient Greece
- History of the Biggest Military Battles of Ancient Greece
- Top Ancient Greek Plays
- History of coin money that was created in ancient Greece
- History of the Athens Acropolis
- Where Was Ancient Greece Exactly?
- Biography of Alexander the Great
- Biography of Plato

Hope this helps with topic brainstorming for your history paper! 🇬🇷 🇬🇷

Reactions: dubai_suzie
I think World War 2 or the Independence from the Ottoman Empire are major moments in Greek history

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?
For the highest level of research difficulty: The Greek invention of Man [not of gods or of heroes]. The primary sources would have to be some philosophers, poets, and historians in ancient history. On second thought, this would be a good topic for a doctoral thesis or dissertation. Never mind.// This topic would also be good for a thread in WG, to which various members could contribute.

Last edited:
The forgotten Greek Islands of Tenedos and Imvros, that the Turks haven't given back after the war.

Reactions: nadellii
The forgotten Greek Islands of Tenedos and Imvros, that the Turks haven't given back after the war.
I’ve never heard of this….will look into it now thanks! Is this well known?

Reactions: mastichas09
Ohi Day is one of them. The Battle of Crete is another. How about something on how Mani declared war against the Ottoman Empire maybe a week before the rest of Greece was on board?

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

I am fascinated by the Ancient Greeks. I have a feeling that some of our modern Greek recipes are similar to the ancient ones. Like spoon sweets. It think that seems like something that was developed a long time ago as a way to preserve the fruit harvest.

So, I have been researching this. What did the Ancient Greeks eat? I wanted to share this video because I thought it was interesting.

What is Oxi Day?

I am most knowledgeable about the cuisine of Greece. I love to cook, and I learned how to make traditional Greek foods from my family.

Food is what we discussed, talked about, and enjoyed together over the years.

We barely talk about history - so when I happened to learn about Ohi Day in passing by poking around some Greek sites, I was surprised it wasn't talked about in my household growing up.

I want to know more about Ohi Day and why we celebrate. Any advice as to where to start?

Learning about the Spartan way of life

I find the Spartans fascinating. They seemed to have a different way of life!

The Spartans, known for their military might, also led a lifestyle that was remarkably disciplined and focused on simplicity.

The core of Spartan society was its military-oriented ethos. From a young age, Spartan boys were trained to be soldiers in the agoge, a rigorous education system that emphasized physical training, endurance, and survival skills. This preparation was not just about warfare but about creating individuals who were resilient, self-sufficient, and disciplined.

But Spartan discipline extended beyond the military sphere. Spartans lived a life of austerity and frugality that is quite alien to our modern way of living. Meals were simple, homes were unadorned, and luxuries were frowned upon. This was not out of a lack of resources but a deliberate choice to avoid softness and dependency on material comforts.

Interestingly, this Spartan simplicity also fostered a sense of equality among citizens. By eschewing luxury, Spartans aimed to reduce divisions within their society. Wealth and status were downplayed, while military prowess and moral integrity were valued above all.

What do you guys think about this or what can you add to my thinking?

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back