1 - 14 of 14 Posts

ssherie_

I am under the impression that Greeks don't really split the bill...so when I'm hanging out with my Greek friends in Greece what on earth should I do? This is something I really don't understand as a Canadian

Reactions: Hash
Don't stress, you won't even get a chance to see the bill. Greeks are very proud and very generous (filotimo). They would consider it an insult if you were to pay. If you ever see 2 Greeks arguing over the bill at a restaurant, it will be as to who should pay, not trying to get the other to pay but themselves to pay.

You can offer to pay the bill, and you should try to pay - they won't let you though.

Whenever I'm out with my friends in Greece we argue about paying the bill. I'll take their cards and give the waiter/waitress my card instead...

Last edited:
You can offer to pay the bill, and you should try to pay - they won't let you though.

Whenever I'm out with my friends in Greece we argue about paying the bill. I'll take their cards and give the waiter/waitress my card instead...
So always offer? And I guess that way you only end up paying sometimes. Everywhere else if I offer to pay, I'm always paying LOL

So always offer? And I guess that way you only end up paying sometimes. Everywhere else if I offer to pay, I'm always paying LOL
You don't have to always offer, but odds are that you won't be the one paying, especially if you're a guest - they'll find it offensive if they don't treat you.

You don't have to always offer, but odds are that you won't be the one paying, especially if you're a guest - they'll find it offensive if they don't treat you.
In cases where you're a guest or someone is older than you assume that you won't be paying. But it is polite to offer

Reactions: Vangelis and Hash
Who pays?
The Germans and the French and the EU, not the Greeks

• Haha
Reactions: daniel
That's right. If you ask to pay in cash, you won't get a receipt in many cases. This is because the owners don't want to pay taxes.

Reactions: Hash and redsoxdw_
That's right. If you ask to pay in cash, you won't get a receipt in many cases. This is because the owners don't want to pay taxes.
Do you pay taxes? If you pay taxes then your not Greek

Reactions: efhernandez_
I agree, you will argue about who will get to pay the bill! If that doesn't happen, just carry around Euros and throw some cash down that you want to pay... then other people will chip in.

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.

Advice about making Greek coffee

I've developed a fascination with Greek culture and cuisine, and one aspect I'm particularly eager to explore is Greek coffee. I've heard that it's a unique and delicious brew, but I'm not quite sure how to make it at home.

I understand that Greek coffee is traditionally prepared using a special pot called a briki, but beyond that, I'm a bit lost. What type of coffee grounds should I use, and how finely should they be ground? Are there any specific brands or blends that are favored for making Greek coffee?

I'm also curious about the brewing process itself. Is there a particular technique for achieving that rich, foamy texture that Greek coffee is known for? And what about serving suggestions? Are there any traditional accompaniments or customs that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back