1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dubai_suzie

I've always loved these shoes. I've been told they're called tsokara but I'm not sure what they're called in English. They're a woman's sandal made of a hard wood material and with a strip going along the top. Does anyone know where I can find this online?

They look exactly like this picture below but usually I thought they'd be cheaper

These shoes are so comfortable and popular! Classic Dr Scholls are so good for the feet, too. I can usually find them online...

Reactions: ssherie_
I've always thought it was strange to call the sandals that women wear "tsokara" when the word "tsokaro" is a slur used for women... (tsokara is the plural of word tsokaro)

Reactions: ssherie_
I've always thought it was strange to call the sandals that women wear "tsokara" when the word "tsokaro" is a slur used for women... (tsokara is the plural of word tsokaro)
I've never heard of this slur... that's very weird

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek tradition of hanging onions on the door?

I just came from my friend's house and I saw there were onions hanging on the door! I asked them about it and learned it was a New Year's tradition. Here's what my research pulled out:

The Greek New Year is celebrated on the 1st of January, but the preparations for the celebration begin on the New Year’s Eve. As per tradition, the Greeks hang onions outside their house, balcony, or anywhere visible to attract good fortune, prosperity, and luck. The onions are hung, infused with various symbols like coins, bread, honey, and olives, representing prosperity, food, and success. This concept reminds the Greeks of their grandmothers, who hung onions outside their homes and gatherings during special occasions, especially New Year’s Eve.

Beyond the symbolic value of the onions, for Greeks, hanging onions also has medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Onions can purify the air and keep away harmful bacteria and impurities due to their sulfur compounds. Additionally, they are believed to have great health benefits and can help boost your immunity, reduce the risk of cancer, and regulate cholesterol levels.

Hanging onions is also a fun activity that the family enjoys together. Everyone gathers around and writes their wishes on the onions and ties them with a red thread, symbolizing good fortune. The onion is then hung outside the house, allowing the wishes to come true. The onions can also be collected at a later stage and used for cooking, acting as a souvenir that remains with the family for the rest of the year.

The notion of hanging onions is an ancient tradition in Greece, and the country takes pride in it. The ritual dates back to ancient Greece, where they were hung on doors and windows to keep away evil spirits and other unwanted energies. In Greece, the land of myths and legends, the onion symbolizes the new life that arises from the depths of the earth, representing hope, fertility, and growth.

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back