1 - 8 of 8 Posts

auroracoor1

Hey everyone, I'm looking to find some small villages in Kefalonia to visit while I'm there. I really like to travel on the offbeat and path and get to know locals, is there anywhere I can do that on the island? I'm super adventurous and open to anything. The more authentic the better.

Agia Effimia is a pretty little village off the beaten path.

Attachments

• 97E4D821-B6E8-4891-87BB-6B28741459FF.jpeg
    97E4D821-B6E8-4891-87BB-6B28741459FF.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0FB5E632-0F55-4826-8155-96AAAD7C3783.jpeg
    0FB5E632-0F55-4826-8155-96AAAD7C3783.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: paharo45
The Iakovitios Library which is located in a village called Lixouri in Kefalonia is a good place to visit for sure!

Assos-Kefalonia-720x480.jpeg

Reactions: paharo45
Agia Efimina is so beautiful!! If you want to explore the coastline you can rent a boat and see the various beaches and coves, may of which are secluded and only accessible this way. Another way to enjoy the waters of this village is to go diving. There are 13 dive sites on the village!!

fiscardo-kefalonia-720x481.jpg

Assos is one of the hidden gems on the island. It’s quite a zig zag drive through mountainous terrain but well worth the trip when you turn the last corner and this magical paradise comes into sight. Enjoy ☺️

Attachments

• 112A0659-6ECC-44D1-8AEE-1309D9F7F1BB.jpeg
    112A0659-6ECC-44D1-8AEE-1309D9F7F1BB.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CAB49F2B-A55D-4FB0-851A-6659DEEF78E8.jpeg
    CAB49F2B-A55D-4FB0-851A-6659DEEF78E8.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 15EAFDD8-54A6-44E6-8F74-2189D081BC36.jpeg
    15EAFDD8-54A6-44E6-8F74-2189D081BC36.jpeg
    655.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1522DF6B-DE67-46B4-B4EF-5C343F082596.jpeg
    1522DF6B-DE67-46B4-B4EF-5C343F082596.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 0
I loved going to Fiscado which also has its own Nautical and Environmental Museum where you can learn about the nautical history of Fiscardo! So cool!

If you are near Argostoli you could visit Fragkata and look for the old ruined village houses - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...56b7530d44a1d62!8m2!3d38.1780109!4d20.5773168 - then continue through the Omala Valley to the Monastery of St Gerasimos (patron saint of Kefalonia). Also try Farakalata and Dilinata for a village feel with a mix of modern and old pre earthquake properties.

If you are on the other side of the island try Drakoupalata near Agia Efimia and also make your way up to Themata Monastery for some amazing views.

Reactions: nm1999
If you are near Argostoli you could visit Fragkata and look for the old ruined village houses - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...56b7530d44a1d62!8m2!3d38.1780109!4d20.5773168 - then continue through the Omala Valley to the Monastery of St Gerasimos (patron saint of Kefalonia). Also try Farakalata and Dilinata for a village feel with a mix of modern and old pre earthquake properties.

If you are on the other side of the island try Drakoupalata near Agia Efimia and also make your way up to Themata Monastery for some amazing views.
This is such good advice!! Thank you so much for posting :)

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?

Always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia...

I have a bucket list of going to Kefalonia while the turtles are on the beaches. I love turtles and this seems like a really beautiful thing.

I found this video that talks about them. It's not quite seeing them in person, but it was informative. Thought I'd share:

Has anyone visited Myrtos Beach in Kefalonia?

I'm planning a trip to Kefalonia and have heard a lot of great things about Myrtos Beach.

Has anyone on this forum been there? I'm interested in knowing:
  • The best time of day to visit
  • Tips for parking and accessibility
  • Recommendations for nearby local eateries
  • Any must-know tips for first-time visitors (like peak times to avoid, if it's suitable for kids, etc.)
Also, if you have any suggestions for other activities or attractions nearby that are worth exploring, I'd love to hear about those too!

What to do in Corfu for couples?

My partner and I are planning a romantic getaway to Corfu, Greece, and we're looking for some insider tips on the best experiences for couples. We've heard so much about Corfu's natural beauty and rich history, but we're hoping to tailor our itinerary to include activities that are especially romantic.

We're open to anything, whether it's relaxing on secluded beaches, exploring charming villages, enjoying candlelit dinners with stunning views, or embarking on adventurous excursions together. Ideally, we'd love to find a balance between leisurely, romantic moments and exciting adventures that we can share as a couple.

If you were us, what would you do while on the island?

Visiting Lixouri in Kefalonia?

I am planing to go to Kefalonia and want to stay in a town that has a lot going on but maybe isn't so big and overwhelming. I researched and thought maybe Lixouri was a candidate?

This will be my first time on Kefalonia and I am interested in any tips you can give, such as:
  • What are the must-see attractions in and around Lixouri?
  • Can you suggest any hidden gems that a tourist might typically overlook?
  • What's the best way to get around the town and to nearby sites?
  • Any advice on local dining spots or unforgettable culinary experiences?
  • I'm also interested in outdoor activities — are there any particular hikes or natural wonders not to be missed?
  • Lastly, if you have any tips on cultural etiquette or local customs, I’d love to hear about them!
Thank you!
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back