1 - 4 of 4 Posts

redsoxdw_

I am thinking of moving my family to Corfu for when I retire. It's one of the possibilities, anyway. I thought it would be a good idea to visit next year, though, before I commit to anything. I really want to get a new overview of the island and its culture. Do you guys have any suggestions about what I should see and do?

These are the must-see landmarks:
1. Church of St. Spyridon, Patron of the island with his incorruptible body
2. Museum of Asian Art (unique!)
3. Museum of Antivouniotissa (excellent post-Byzantine artworks!) https://www.antivouniotissamuseum.gr/en
4. The Old Fortress
5. The Orthodox Metropolitan Church of Panagia Spilaiotissa, St. Blaise and St. Theodora, the Byzantine Empress who restored the veneration of the holy icons in 843 and whose incorruptible body is kept in the interior
6. The Roman Catholic Duomo
7. The Archaeological Museum
8. The Achillion Palace

Last edited:
3. Museum of Antivouniotissa (excellent post-Byzantine artworks!) https://www.antivouniotissamuseum.gr/en
4. The Old Fortress
5. The Orthodox Metropolitan Church of Panagia Spilaiotissa, St. Blaise and St. Theodora, the Byzantine Empress who restored the veneration of the holy icons in 843 and whose incorruptible body is kept in the interior
8. The Achillion Palace
This is an excellent list! Thank you for posting it. I might also be visiting Corfu soon so this list will come in handy. I love visiting Archaeological Museums in Greece. They each have their own qualities and are great places to learn. I like to stop in when I find them. :)

4. The Old Fortress
8. The Achillion Palace
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I can't wait to visit some of these places.

Prioritizing Things to Do in Corfu

I want to do the following in Corfu - problem is I only have a few nights. Any advice on how I can prioritize?

- Old fortress
- Canal d'Amour
- Meander though old town
- Paleolastritsa beach
- Casa Parlante
- Archaeological Museum
- Nightlife - whatever I can find

Is this too much for 3 nights?

Three Days or So in Corfu?

I was thinking of visiting Corfu over summer of 2024 and I am not sure how many days to stay. I was thinking that three days is a good amount, and that will enable me to visit other places in Greece (and other people - I have friends and family to visit).

Anyway 3 or 4 days really is ideal. But now, what to do? I have been watching a lot of content - there is some great travel content on YouTube and people love to visit Greece. Anyway, here is a great video:

Planning What to See in Corfu

I've been to Corfu plenty of times. I am writing down some of my notes so that I can sort out what I want to see next time I visit. I have friends there and might visit again next year...

Old Town Corfu - It's a NESCO World Heritage Site and has an impressive collection of Venetian-era buildings, narrow streets, and hidden alleys. It is also home to the imposing Old Fortress, Esplanade, and there architecture of the Liston and Palace of St. Michael and St. George.

Beaches - The Blue Caves on the northern coast of the island are a must-visit attraction and can only be accessed by boat but are worth visiting. Once there, swim in the sparkling blue waters surrounded by towering cliffs.

Dishes to Try - Sample local dishes like Pastitsada (beef stewed in tomato sauce), Sofrito (thinly sliced veal with parsley and garlic sauce), and Bourdeto (fish in a spicy red sauce). Also drink ouzo or tsipouro, two popular spirits.

Achilleion Palace - Located seven kilometers south of Corfu Town. Built as a summer residence for Empress Elizabeth of Austria. The palace has gorgeous architecture, beautiful gardens, and exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. I have taken a tour - not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone have any good Tavernas to recommend?

Favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard that Corfu is lovely and worth visiting. I love the beach, and I heard there are some great beaches here.

Do you have a favorite beach in Corfu?

I have heard great things about Paleokastritsa, Sidari, and Kontokali.

Also, is the island big? If I stay on the Western side, is it logical to be able to travel around, or should I go somewhere more centrally located?

Video Tour of Corfu

When I am about to visit a destination, I like to watch video content.

It has been a while since I have been to Corfu. I kept trying to go, but it keeps falling through.

Ignore the several-minutes long plug for a product! That part I know was necessary because they were a sponsor.

Once you get through that the content is good!

Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back