1 - 10 of 10 Posts

ssherie_

I'm thinking of renting a boat to travel around the island and the nearby waters. Which port is it best to leave from? Does it make a difference?

I have no idea which is better, as I've never done either. I found this thread on Tripadvisor where people are talking about it. Maybe this can help?

That depends on where you want to go with the boat. If you want to go towards Agia Efimia or Antisamos then Sami will suit. From Poros you can go towards Skala or towards Sami, there are a couple small beaches, like koutsoupia but be warned wasps can be a problem on or close to the beach. If you head from Poros towards Sami there are beaches there as well.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
That depends on where you want to go with the boat. If you want to go towards Agia Efimia or Antisamos then Sami will suit. From Poros you can go towards Skala or towards Sami, there are a couple small beaches, like koutsoupia but be warned wasps can be a problem on or close to the beach. If you head from Poros towards Sami there are beaches there as well.
Do you know which is nicer? In your opinion

If you are asking me which is nicer to stay at, they are both busy commercial ports. Poros would be slightly better because at least half of the beach on the northern side of the river ( creek in summer) is away from the busy port.
In my opinion it is much nicer to stay in Skala or Agia Efimia. You have to visit lake Melisani in Sami.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
If you are asking me which is nicer to stay at, they are both busy commercial ports. Poros would be slightly better because at least half of the beach on the northern side of the river ( creek in summer) is away from the busy port.
In my opinion it is much nicer to stay in Skala or Agia Efimia. You have to visit lake Melisani in Sami.
Thank you so much!! I hate it when the beach is basically connected to the limani

Thank you so much!! I hate it when the beach is basically connected to the limani
Poros is ok then on the northern part but don't expect to find sand on the beach, it is all pebble of varying sizes but not overly busy.
I would suggest Skala a much better option, again pebble beach but much smaller pebbles, the beach is much busier, more upmarket places to stay and lots more as well. Prices reflect that of course. If you stay in Skala and you have a car, you can rent them everywhere in the island, Mounda beach is close by and there you will find sand and not as busy as Skala. Depending on the time of the year you there you may get lucky and see baby turtles hatching and heading for the water.

Reactions: auroracoor1
Poros is ok then on the northern part but don't expect to find sand on the beach, it is all pebble of varying sizes but not overly busy.
I would suggest Skala a much better option, again pebble beach but much smaller pebbles, the beach is much busier, more upmarket places to stay and lots more as well. Prices reflect that of course. If you stay in Skala and you have a car, you can rent them everywhere in the island, Mounda beach is close by and there you will find sand and not as busy as Skala. Depending on the time of the year you there you may get lucky and see baby turtles hatching and heading for the water.
I agree, Skala is the best for sure :)

I have no idea which is better, as I've never done either. I found this thread on Tripadvisor where people are talking about it. Maybe this can help?

Pay attention between Poros, the city of Kefalonia, and the island Poros of the Argo-Saronic group! :)

Reactions: francescool

Did I Miss Turtle Season?

I have always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia. They come to the beach to lay eggs or something once a year or so, right? Did I miss it?

I Might have to wait until next year to do this. Does anyone have an advice?

I was originally planning to go n September, but I think if that is the case, I would have missed it?

Turtles question about Kefalonia

I'm planning an upcoming trip to the beautiful island of Kefalonia and I've heard quite a bit about the turtles that can be seen around the island. 🐢💦

Being a wildlife lover, I'd be thrilled to catch a glimpse of these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat! I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate insights from those who have visited or are knowledgeable about the local wildlife:
  1. What is the best time of year to observe turtles in Kefalonia?
  2. Are there specific locations where sightings are more common?
  3. Do local conservation efforts support safe viewing that won't disrupt the turtles' natural behavior?
Anything you have to share will be helpful!

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?

Planning to visit Melissani Cave

I am planning to go to Kefalonia and want to visit Melissani Cave. I am personally very excited about it, but someone in my party is afraid of small spaces (small, dark spaces). Their claustrophobia is actually something they've needed therapy for in the past.

To those of you who have been, do you think this individual should try to find something else to do that day?!

I am not crazy about that aspect of visiting caves either, but I don't have a legit fear like she does. I know that I can relax and enjoy the experience once I get used to the feelings of being in a cave.

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back