1 - 10 of 10 Posts

ssherie_

I'm thinking of renting a boat to travel around the island and the nearby waters. Which port is it best to leave from? Does it make a difference?

I have no idea which is better, as I've never done either. I found this thread on Tripadvisor where people are talking about it. Maybe this can help?

That depends on where you want to go with the boat. If you want to go towards Agia Efimia or Antisamos then Sami will suit. From Poros you can go towards Skala or towards Sami, there are a couple small beaches, like koutsoupia but be warned wasps can be a problem on or close to the beach. If you head from Poros towards Sami there are beaches there as well.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
That depends on where you want to go with the boat. If you want to go towards Agia Efimia or Antisamos then Sami will suit. From Poros you can go towards Skala or towards Sami, there are a couple small beaches, like koutsoupia but be warned wasps can be a problem on or close to the beach. If you head from Poros towards Sami there are beaches there as well.
Do you know which is nicer? In your opinion

If you are asking me which is nicer to stay at, they are both busy commercial ports. Poros would be slightly better because at least half of the beach on the northern side of the river ( creek in summer) is away from the busy port.
In my opinion it is much nicer to stay in Skala or Agia Efimia. You have to visit lake Melisani in Sami.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
If you are asking me which is nicer to stay at, they are both busy commercial ports. Poros would be slightly better because at least half of the beach on the northern side of the river ( creek in summer) is away from the busy port.
In my opinion it is much nicer to stay in Skala or Agia Efimia. You have to visit lake Melisani in Sami.
Thank you so much!! I hate it when the beach is basically connected to the limani

Thank you so much!! I hate it when the beach is basically connected to the limani
Poros is ok then on the northern part but don't expect to find sand on the beach, it is all pebble of varying sizes but not overly busy.
I would suggest Skala a much better option, again pebble beach but much smaller pebbles, the beach is much busier, more upmarket places to stay and lots more as well. Prices reflect that of course. If you stay in Skala and you have a car, you can rent them everywhere in the island, Mounda beach is close by and there you will find sand and not as busy as Skala. Depending on the time of the year you there you may get lucky and see baby turtles hatching and heading for the water.

Reactions: auroracoor1
Poros is ok then on the northern part but don't expect to find sand on the beach, it is all pebble of varying sizes but not overly busy.
I would suggest Skala a much better option, again pebble beach but much smaller pebbles, the beach is much busier, more upmarket places to stay and lots more as well. Prices reflect that of course. If you stay in Skala and you have a car, you can rent them everywhere in the island, Mounda beach is close by and there you will find sand and not as busy as Skala. Depending on the time of the year you there you may get lucky and see baby turtles hatching and heading for the water.
I agree, Skala is the best for sure :)

I have no idea which is better, as I've never done either. I found this thread on Tripadvisor where people are talking about it. Maybe this can help?

Pay attention between Poros, the city of Kefalonia, and the island Poros of the Argo-Saronic group! :)

Reactions: francescool

Top Attractions in Kefalonia

Planning a trip to kefalonia next year. I want to see the turtles - I was thinking of going at the end of June. Does this make sense to see the turtles?

In addition I want to see the following - did I miss anything?

- Melissani Cave
- Skala Beach (and other beaches)
- Castle of Agios Georgios

Anything else I should prioritize?

What to do in Corfu for couples?

My partner and I are planning a romantic getaway to Corfu, Greece, and we're looking for some insider tips on the best experiences for couples. We've heard so much about Corfu's natural beauty and rich history, but we're hoping to tailor our itinerary to include activities that are especially romantic.

We're open to anything, whether it's relaxing on secluded beaches, exploring charming villages, enjoying candlelit dinners with stunning views, or embarking on adventurous excursions together. Ideally, we'd love to find a balance between leisurely, romantic moments and exciting adventures that we can share as a couple.

If you were us, what would you do while on the island?

Best way to get from Athens to Kefalonia?

I am booking my transportation for my trip to Kefalonia. I will have to fly into Athens, and I will be spending some time in Athens (haven't decided how long). From there, I would like t travel to Kefalonia. What is the best way? Should I just do the ferry? I also don't mind flying.

The one detail is that I ideally would like to leave from Kefalonia to go home to the United States. Should I plan on staying in Athens again? Logistically, I know this isn't ideal, to need to leave from Kefalonia for home, so maybe I should split my Athens trip up (about two weeks in Athens) to make it easier on myself?

Making Christopsomo- Christmas Bread

I will be traveling to Greece this Christmas and I want to make some Christopsomo to give to my family when I go. I have never made it and want to run something by you - do these ingredients look right? It looks very similar to tsoureki to me but with a lot of spices. I am also nervous there's too much flour in the recipe.

- 8 cups or so of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of honey

Always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia...

I have a bucket list of going to Kefalonia while the turtles are on the beaches. I love turtles and this seems like a really beautiful thing.

I found this video that talks about them. It's not quite seeing them in person, but it was informative. Thought I'd share:

Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back