1 - 4 of 4 Posts

mastichas09

I have seen people refer to Milos as the island of love.

I am planning a trip and maybe going to Milos next year.

I know that it is beautiful, and you don't need to be in a relationship to enjoy it. I have never been here- I am trying to visit some places in Greece I have never been.

Any advice on what to see?

I’ve just returned from Milos and its natural beauty is undeniable. To best see it, I would highly recommend spending at least two days on the water. I took the Polco catamaran tour which highlighted the southwestern part of the island; Kleftiko and its caves. I also took the Perseus Tour past Kimolos to the uninhabited island of Poliegos. This trip included a swim in the Blue Bay and a beach picnic on Lighthouse Bay, complete with feeding the wild goats and having the opportunity for more great swimming. You can rent a car to explore the island for the other days; mainly to see the island’s many beaches, Sarakiniko, and the villages of Firopotamos, Mandrakia (Be sure to secure a table at Medusa; it’s worth the wait!) and Klima, with their charming syrmata houses. Personally except for the archeological museum, I was a bit disappointed with Plaka, but maybe I should have gone at sunset. Adamas provided a good base; Pollonia seemed more touristy. I stayed at Iliana Olive Branch (just outside Adamas) and it was AMAZING - totally serene and located in an excellent family-operated boutique hotel and olive grove away from the crowds. The fact that it doesn’t have a pool isn’t important; one has the beach.

One word of caution…..the high wind in Milos can sometimes create a problem with boat trips being cancelled and more importantly, one’s ability to get on or off the island if flights and/or ferries are cancelled. I scheduled the two boat trips for our first two days to allow for re-scheduling if necessary. We had perfect weather for these two days, but unfortunately our morning departure flight was cancelled and we had to wait in Adamas all day with our luggage to catch a ferry back to Athens…..so just factor in enough days when you’re planning your itinerary.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Milos is fantastic - I can see that it is a romantic place. I was there for only a short time this year.

Deborah, really enjoyed reading your explanation! I'll go back to Milos and see more - I was just there for a day with a cruise stop! I got a nice overview, but didn't see much.

k_tsoukalas, Thank you very much. Maybe we saw your cruise ship from our hotel!

Cycladic Islands in Greece 'Threatened by Surge in Tourism!

Best places in Greece to see the Venetian influences?

I am interested in the Venetian influences that are interwoven into certain parts of the country. From the architecture to the local customs, I understand that the reach of the Venetian Republic left a notable mark that can still be felt today.

I'm in the midst of planning an itinerary focused on exploring these influences and I’d love to hear from you about the must-visit spots where one can best experience the essence of the Venetian presence in Greece.

Do any of you have recommendations for specific towns, buildings, ruins, or even local festivities that embody this cultural blend? Any hidden gems or lesser-known locations that surprised you with their Venetian charm?

Of course, I expect Crete, with its famed Venetian fortresses and the romantic old town of Chania, to be part of this list. But I'm certain there is a wealth of places, perhaps on other islands or on the mainland, which equally showcase this unique period of history. I also know there are influences in Corfu. Is there anywhere else?

Seeking Tips: Top Culinary Spots in Greece?

I am planning a trip to Greece and in need of some culinary guidance. Where are the must-visit spots for authentic Greek cuisine? From Athens to the islands, I'm looking for local favorites, hidden gems, and any must-try dishes. Whether it's a bustling market or a cozy taverna, I want to hear about the places that left you craving more. Any tips on where to find the freshest seafood or the crispiest spanakopita?

I would live it if you would share your recommendations and help me plan the ultimate foodie adventure. Looking forward to the trip for sure!

Should We Stop in Corinth?

I'm planning a trip to the Peloponnese, and I'm debating whether it’s worth stopping in Corinth on my way there. Has anyone made a similar trip? If so, could you share your experiences?

I'm particularly interested in:
  • Historical Sites: Are the ancient ruins and historical sites in Corinth worth visiting?
  • Scenic Views: Is the Corinth Canal as impressive in person as it looks in pictures?
  • Local Culture: What’s the vibe of the town like? Any local shops or markets worth checking out?
  • Travel Tips: Are there any specific recommendations or things I should be
Thanks in advance!

Greek Islands Food Tour?

I am a foodie and I love to cook. Does anyone know of any food tour situations that I can do in the islands, or maybe island hopping?

I am in the midst of planning an exciting adventure to Greece and am particularly interested in experiencing the country through its cuisine. I've heard that island hopping offers not just stunning views but also a taste of local flavors that differ from island to island.

With so many beautiful islands, from the renowned Santorini to the charming Skopelos, I'm looking for recommendations on food tours or culinary experiences that are part of island hopping packages. Any recommendations you may have would be great!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back