1 - 4 of 4 Posts

dimi_pat

I am hoping to some day see the sea turtles in Kefalonia and I think next year might be it. I hear they only go at certain times of the year. Does anyone know about this? If I travel in June will I see them? I heard that they also only go to certain beaches? Has anyone here seen them? I am so fascinated by this. I think June might be the best month for me to travel next year and Kefalonia looks like a great place in general.

Kaminia and mounda are the best places for nesting turtles. They will lay eggs from June to August . If you want to see the little hatchings I would say August to October. If you want to stay close by Skala is the best place and you can rent a car to drive Kaminia.

Kaminia and mounda are the best places for nesting turtles. They will lay eggs from June to August . If you want to see the little hatchings I would say August to October. If you want to stay close by Skala is the best place and you can rent a car to drive Kaminia.
This sounds like an amazing site to see - I saw some footage of it on a documentary. They go right on the beach and nest, right? Do they protect the areas?

It is an amazing sight to watch the females come up from the sea to the beach. She digs with flippers and then lies her eggs . The nesting process can take 20 to 40 minutes. She may abandon the nest and dig another one for a variety of reasons, including hitting an obstacle or the sand being too dry. I'm not sure what the Greeks do now to protect the beach in nesting and hatching seasons. I was a youngster ( a long time ago) when I visited there to watch them.
In Australia where I live we have very strict rules and big fines if you contravene them.

Did I Miss Turtle Season?

I have always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia. They come to the beach to lay eggs or something once a year or so, right? Did I miss it?

I Might have to wait until next year to do this. Does anyone have an advice?

I was originally planning to go n September, but I think if that is the case, I would have missed it?

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?

Visiting Lixouri in Kefalonia?

I am planing to go to Kefalonia and want to stay in a town that has a lot going on but maybe isn't so big and overwhelming. I researched and thought maybe Lixouri was a candidate?

This will be my first time on Kefalonia and I am interested in any tips you can give, such as:
  • What are the must-see attractions in and around Lixouri?
  • Can you suggest any hidden gems that a tourist might typically overlook?
  • What's the best way to get around the town and to nearby sites?
  • Any advice on local dining spots or unforgettable culinary experiences?
  • I'm also interested in outdoor activities — are there any particular hikes or natural wonders not to be missed?
  • Lastly, if you have any tips on cultural etiquette or local customs, I’d love to hear about them!
Thank you!

Best way to get from Athens to Kefalonia?

I am booking my transportation for my trip to Kefalonia. I will have to fly into Athens, and I will be spending some time in Athens (haven't decided how long). From there, I would like t travel to Kefalonia. What is the best way? Should I just do the ferry? I also don't mind flying.

The one detail is that I ideally would like to leave from Kefalonia to go home to the United States. Should I plan on staying in Athens again? Logistically, I know this isn't ideal, to need to leave from Kefalonia for home, so maybe I should split my Athens trip up (about two weeks in Athens) to make it easier on myself?

Top Attractions in Kefalonia

Planning a trip to kefalonia next year. I want to see the turtles - I was thinking of going at the end of June. Does this make sense to see the turtles?

In addition I want to see the following - did I miss anything?

- Melissani Cave
- Skala Beach (and other beaches)
- Castle of Agios Georgios

Anything else I should prioritize?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back