1 - 7 of 7 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.

What do people here do to celebrate their name days? Most people barely even remember all the name days, and last year I almost forgot about it. But I know that some people love to honor their name day. I am curious what people do. I have a friend who tries to go to church if there is a service. Other friends go out for dinner, as if they are celebrating a birthday.
I go to church as I do most Sundays. We used to get a flower but that stopped.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
When growing up (I am now 85) I never knew anyone's B'day. We only celebrated name days, and they were big house party events with lots of food, music, dancing and drinks with relatives and friends. My name day was easy to remember since my name is Xpristos (Christ). If you are guessing, it is Christmas day. Those parties seem to have gone by the wayside. In fact I don't recall going to any name day parties after my dad died in 1957. And, I don't recall either of my sisters who married Greek boys ever celebrated name days.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
I have every intention to really honor my name day but some years, it totally passes me by, especially if the day doesn't fall on a Sunday. I celebrate both Saint Katherine (birth certificate) and Saint Kaliope (baptismal name) ... This past year I totally forget Saint Kaliope is celebrated in June. I have a calendar alert now. I would love to treat the name days as if they were my birthday!

Reactions: amygdalE
I have every intention to really honor my name day but some years, it totally passes me by, especially if the day doesn't fall on a Sunday. I celebrate both Saint Katherine (birth certificate) and Saint Kaliope (baptismal name) ... This past year I totally forget Saint Kaliope is celebrated in June. I have a calendar alert now. I would love to treat the name days as if they were my birthday!
I wonder when the name of a muse was sanctified, and about this custom of 2 names, such as you have. In my native S. Italy [Magna Graecia], a baby used to be named after the saint whose feast was celebrated the day he was born, or after a grandparent, or both [///as probably also in your case?] In my case: Amedeo [a recent and rare aristocratic name] Luigi [maternal grandfather] Giuseppe [the eve of St. Joseph's].

I wonder when the name of a muse was sanctified, and about this custom of 2 names, such as you have. In my native S. Italy [Magna Graecia], a baby used to be named after the saint whose feast was celebrated the day he was born, or after a grandparent, or both [///as probably also in your case?] In my case: Amedeo [a recent and rare aristocratic name] Luigi [maternal grandfather] Giuseppe [the eve of St. Joseph's].
We can technically take on a different name than our given name when we were born when we are baptized - we can choose. I see this a lot with adult converts. My convert friends consciously pick a saint they identify with. Kaliope is my grandmother's name. Saint Kaliope was martyred in 250 AD - she suffered "branding" right before her death. My grandmother (I never met her) is said to have hated her name and before she died, made my mother promise not to name me after her - I am the first born and that was the tradition in our family. My mom made a compromise and now Kaliope is my baptismal name.

That is a cool tradition your family practices - I think a lot of it depends on the family. Turns out, the Orthodox Church doesn't actually make these naming rules, families have their traditions... I didn't realize this until I was an adult, I just thought I was different. LOL

Reactions: amygdalE
We celebrate it like our birthday. It's a bigger deal for my wife than it is for me because she's from Greece and I'm not. Fortunately, it's easy for me to remember her name day because it's only a week after her birthday.

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Gift Ideas for Greek Christenings

I've had to go to a log of Greek Christenings lately, which means that I know exactly what to do when it comes to gift. I have noticed some gifts traditionally appear. Aside from money, which is also appropriate, here are some ideas:

1. Icons
In Greek religion and culture, icons are considered not just as works of art but as holy objects that help people feel closer to God. Gifting an icon is an incredibly powerful way of expressing love and well wishes to the baby. An icon symbolizes a bond that will stay with the child for a lifetime, and it can hang in their room for years to come. It is an unusual and thoughtful gift that will make a lasting impact.

2. Silver Baby Spoon and Fork Set
A silver baby spoon and fork set is an elegant and memorable gift idea. In Greek culture, silverware is traditional, signifying the precious nature of the sacrament. It is both practical and meaningful and can be passed down through the generations.

3. Christening Outfit
If you're looking for a less traditional gift idea, consider gifting a beautiful christening outfit. This is typically taken care of by either the parents or godparents, so I would check before you buy something.

4. Book of Blessings
A book of blessings containing prayer and passages of faith is an exceptional gift. It is a sentimental and thoughtful gift that will go a long way in nurturing the baby's faith and spiritual growth. Moreover, it is something that the child can revisit years later, reminding them of the love and support they received from their family and friends at the Christening.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back