1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greggd12

Mastic resin is a specific type of mastic that is only grown on the island of Chios that is used for homeopathic medicine and for a variety of desserts and cooking. Mastichochoria which translates to mastic villages were built on the island as communities to surround the prized and valuable mastic trees. These mastic that comes from these trees are one of the biggest exports from the island and a big source of income for farmers and for exporters and store owners.

The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!

Reactions: seleanor
The Mastichochoria in Chios is so unique, as is the flavor of this resin. I thought I’d tried everything flavored with mastic from chicken to ice cream, until I found mastic cocktails this past summer!
I love mastic cocktails!! They have the perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness!

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.

Mastic cocktails are delicious! I also just like to drink it straight, especially if it had been chilled.
I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.

Reactions: blopez34
I also like to cook with the resin - sometimes I will use it in place of vanilla powder to give the recipe a different flavor.
I love doing this, anytime someone eats my cooking when I put mastic instead of vanilla they they always love it but can never put their finger on the flavor

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back