1 - 3 of 3 Posts

cubrinj

I know everyone loves melamakarona during Christmas, but my favorite are kourabedies! They are delicious. I love my family's recipe. I thought I would share:

- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of almonds, roasted and chopped
- Additional confectioners' sugar (for dusting)

1: Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2: Cream the butter into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Add two egg yolks gradually and continue beating.

3: Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and brandy, and beat until creamy and fully incorporated.

4: Add flour and baking powder and mix until the dough becomes soft and silky.

5: Fold chopped almonds into the dough mixture.

6: Take a small piece of dough (approximately 1 tablespoon-sized) and press it into your palm to create a small, round cookie. Place the cookies on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart.

7: Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cookies turn golden brown.

8: Remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool.

9: Once the cookies are completely cool, dust them with a layer of confectioners’ sugar to coat the cookies.

10: Store in an airtight container until you're ready to enjoy them.

greek-shortbread.jpg

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
This is definitely a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Kourabedies are so good. My family always made these and baklava for Christmas. She'd give out plates of Greed desserts for gifts!

Best Greek seafood dishes for summer grilling?

Summer is in full swing, and what better way to enjoy the season than firing up the grill? Which seafood dishes perfect for grilling. Greek cuisine's blend of fresh ingredients, herbs, and spices makes it an ideal choice for light, summery meals, and I'm eager to hear your recommendations.

Do you have favorite Greek seafood recipes or dishes that shine especially bright when cooked over an open flame? Whether it's a classic recipe or a personal twist on traditional fare,I know about things like grilled octopus marinated in olive oil and oregano to the simplicity of shrimp saganaki.

Additionally, if you have preparation tips, marinade secrets, or any advice on grilling seafood the Greek way, please share. Thanks so much!

Greek Souvlaki Marinade Recipe

Now that grilling season is upon us, I thought I would share my souvlaki marinade. I cut the meat in cubes and marinate in plastic bags overnight. I skewer them just before grilling.

Add to a mason jar:
  • 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Then I cover the mason jar and shake, add the meat to the bags, and pour it over. If I am making a huge batch I double the marinade.

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back