1 - 7 of 7 Posts

greggd12

hey guys. do you have tips on traveling to Santorini but avoiding the swarm of tourist? my niece showed me a video that she took on one of the cliffs while she was filming the sunset and I have never seen so many tourists in my entire life. I would love to visit, but is there anyway to enjoy some peace and quiet while on the island?

Timing! Try going on an off peak time of year or end of the travel season (September is a great time to go, warm weather and warm ocean water still!)

IMG_6612-e1566590515374-720x960.jpeg

September is the time...

It all depends on what you are looking for in a trip. If it's picture taking and seeing the sites I highly recommend May. It's beautiful, the weather is warm but not unbearable and you can even swim that time of year!

when I went to Santorini, my friends and I decided to go on the offbeat and path and focus more on authentic experiences and being in nature. It might not what you classically envision for a Santorini vacation, but when you talk to enough locals, they will point you in the right direction. one of my favorite memories was renting ATVs and going to a secluded beach with some wine from the supermarket. good times

My favorite way to avoid tourists is to get an Airbnb and ask the host what they recommend, the locals always know best!

Last edited:
From what I've heard, it has become such a popular destination especially in the last few years so it’s going to be difficult to avoid the tourists. The best advice I would be able to give you is to get a hotel that isn't in the town center, they're usually cheaper anyways, and you can have some peace and quiet when you get back to the hotel.

Oia Santorini Sunset Cruise

I found this video of a sunset cruise in Oia on Santorini and I am intrigued! I'll share the video, and I am curious if any of you have tried this. I had a terrible experience fighting for a standing spot last time I was in Oia.

Off the beaten track suggestions for Santorini?

I've been completely mesmerized by the postcard photos of Santorini, but beyond the blue domes and the sunsets of Oia, I'm looking to uncover some of the island's best-kept secrets. What do you suggest?

Have you stumbled upon any villages, beaches, or local haunts here that you loved? Or maybe historical sites too? I am just looking to do something different that what is typical.

Views like this wouldn't hurt!

santorini-greece.jpg

Volcanic history on Santorini?

I've always been fascinated by the natural wonders of the world, and recently I have become particularly interested in the volcanic landscape of Santorini. I understand that the island's dramatic cliffs, unique beaches, and overall topography are heavily influenced by its explosive volcanic past.

However, I'm looking to go beyond just the surface and truly understand the evidence of Santorini's volcanic activity. Could any geology enthusiasts, historians, or locals provide more detailed insights into:

1. Specific Landforms: What are the most apparent geological features on the island that indicate its volcanic nature?
  2. Volcanic Materials: Are there any areas where you can see different layers of ash or pumice stone resulting from various eruptions over time
I'd appreciate pictures, personal stories, or academic resources that could help in understanding the evidence of Santorini's volcanic landscape.

Advice on galleries to visit in Fira?

I heard that Santorini is a great place for artists and people who admire art. I will be in Santorini for a cruise stop soon, but I will only have time to explore Fira.

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Santorini and, as an enthusiastic art lover, I'm eager to immerse myself in the local art scene. Fira, with its stunning caldera views and charming streets, is on my travel itinerary, and I would love to explore some art galleries while I'm there.

From what I've gathered, Santorini, and Fira in particular, is a hub for vibrant art, showcasing everything from contemporary pieces by local artists to ancient artifacts that narrate the island's rich history. However, with such a plethora of options, it's a bit overwhelming to choose where to start.

Anyone have any advice?

santorini-greece.jpg

Can you spend a week in Santorini?

I will be going to Greece next year and someone I am traveling with is obsessed with photos of Santorini and wants to go.

From what I can gather, most people say just to spend a few days and then move on, but this person is pushing for a longer stay.

Is there enough to do on Santorini so that spending a week or more makes sense? She wants to enjoy the sunsets, the food (I heard the food is better in other parts of Greece), and beaches (I also heard that there aren't as many beaches).

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks lovely, I just feel deep down that a week might be too long.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back