1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

I usually use the same recipe all the time - the one my mother showed me. But the other day, I didn't have enough of one of the ingredients (she uses cottage cheese and I didn't have enough) so to substitute I used a little soft goat cheese that I had in he fridge. It was yummy! It got me thinking that I don't always need to use the same recipe, right? I can do different things? I am curious the ingredients in your filling (you don't need to give me proportions, I am just curious what you use). I use cottage cheese and imported feta (except that one time where I had to use some goat cheese).

k_tsoukalas

I usually use the same recipe all the time - the one my mother showed me. But the other day, I didn't have enough of one of the ingredients (she uses cottage cheese and I didn't have enough) so to substitute I used a little soft goat cheese that I had in he fridge. It was yummy! It got me thinking that I don't always need to use the same recipe, right? I can do different things? I am curious the ingredients in your filling (you don't need to give me proportions, I am just curious what you use). I use cottage cheese and imported feta (except that one time where I had to use some goat cheese).
I wonder if the soft goat cheese added a different flavor! I feel like there's wiggle room with tiro pita... as long as the overall amounts are the same, I bet it will taste great!

Moussaka Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorite Greek dishes is Moussaka, but I don't make it at home a lot. One of the issues is that I haven't found a great recipe, and I know that working with eggplant can be tricky. In the past, people have tried to explain to me how to make it, but their explanations have been confusing. I need a proper recipe that is easy to understand. It looks like Chef Pemi put together a great version of it that even someone like me, who has been intimidated by making my own moussaka, can follow. Not only that, but it looks yummy!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

moussaka-recipe.jpg

Greek Thanksgiving "Stuffing" Recipe?

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I am trying to track down a recipe. I had a Greek friend verbally describe what this is, but I need a recipe to follow if someone can help me out. His family recipe involves:
  • Onion
  • Ground beef
  • Rice
  • Water or broth
  • All spice, cinnamon, oregano (I thought he said oregano but I am not 100%)
  • Roasted chestnuts
I think maybe I can guess that the onion is sautéed, the ground beef needs to be browned, the rice is stirred in and water or broth is added, and the chestnuts are roasted separately and stirred in at the end?

Thanks for your help! I am learning that Greek cooks have most of their recipes in their brains.

Does anyone have a good stifado recipe?

I used to make it, but I don't know where my recipe went and I never had it memorized. I plan to make it with beef. I recall we used a bunch of different spices. The main issue is the I can't remember the spice combination. Also, I used to make it in a pressure cooker but I no longer have one. I am assuming it's okay to do it on the stove?

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?

Anyone have a good koulouri recipe?

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube