1 - 7 of 7 Posts

nadellii

I usually use the same recipe all the time - the one my mother showed me. But the other day, I didn't have enough of one of the ingredients (she uses cottage cheese and I didn't have enough) so to substitute I used a little soft goat cheese that I had in he fridge. It was yummy! It got me thinking that I don't always need to use the same recipe, right? I can do different things? I am curious the ingredients in your filling (you don't need to give me proportions, I am just curious what you use). I use cottage cheese and imported feta (except that one time where I had to use some goat cheese).

I usually use the same recipe all the time - the one my mother showed me. But the other day, I didn't have enough of one of the ingredients (she uses cottage cheese and I didn't have enough) so to substitute I used a little soft goat cheese that I had in he fridge. It was yummy! It got me thinking that I don't always need to use the same recipe, right? I can do different things? I am curious the ingredients in your filling (you don't need to give me proportions, I am just curious what you use). I use cottage cheese and imported feta (except that one time where I had to use some goat cheese).
I wonder if the soft goat cheese added a different flavor! I feel like there's wiggle room with tiro pita... as long as the overall amounts are the same, I bet it will taste great!

There is definitely room to experiment. Traditional tiropita is all about feta being the main star. That dosent mean that there aren’t versions of of tiropita with other cheeses. For instance, there is kasseropita (Kasseri cheese a Greek cheese that is a springy-textured, stringy cheese). I usually sub Gruyère cheese when I can’t find it.

Reactions: nadellii
There is definitely room to experiment. Traditional tiropita is all about feta being the main star. That dosent mean that there aren’t versions of of tiropita with other cheeses. For instance, there is kasseropita (Kasseri cheese a Greek cheese that is a springy-textured, stringy cheese). I usually sub Gruyère cheese when I can’t find it.
I never thought to sub gruyere cheese! That's a good tip, I will keep that in mind. Could you make tiropita with feta only? I didn't realize!

My mother always used a combination of Farmers cheese and Feta, it was always delicious!

Reactions: PemiKanavos
My mother always used a combination of Farmers cheese and Feta, it was always delicious!
Interesting, what is farmer's cheese? I might try this.

farmers cheese is similar to a cottage cheese but it's smooth and firmer so it holds up well and is a different texture. It blends well with other cheeses.

Greek grilling advice and tips?

It's getting warm out and time to break out the grill! I am interested in how do Greek people in Greece grill? I've had so many delicious grilled foods in Greece, I am having a hard time getting the same flavors here in the United States.

I've tried my hand at a few recipes, aiming to capture that authentic taste, but I feel like there's a deeper level of technique and tradition that I'm just not hitting. From choosing the right ingredients to mastering the grill itself, I know there’s a wealth of subtleties that can turn a good dish into a great one.

Do they use certain marinades or techniques? I've watched people in Greece grill - they don't even really follow recipes.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back