1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nadellii

I have been studying the "Blue Zone" concept and I am excited to see that an island in Greece made the cut. In my research about the island, I can see that some of the food is a little different than it is in the rest of Greece, and that it is very much tied to what is available on the island. I know other places in Greece are like this, too, such as Crete. Anyway, I wanted to research a bit about the cuisine of Ikaria. Please chime in with any feedback about this list, or if you have anything to add:
  • Like a lot of Greece, Ikarians seem to forage. I saw salad recipes with purslane and other wild greens
  • Lots of fresh food, like freshly picked veggies and fruits, fresh-caught fit
  • It seems that when an animal is used, they use as much of the animal as they can (organ meats, bones, the regular meat, etc)
  • I believe the food supply on the island is self sustaining?
  • They drink a lot of wine on the island
I am not 100% sure how this is any different from other places, like Crete. I think Ikaria made the list because of the life expectancy and overall health? Does anyone know of any good dishes I can try?

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Nadellii,
Ikaria produces a wonderful cheese from the goats that roam the mountains called Kathoura. Also their pine honey “peukomelo” is tooted to be one of the best honeys in Greece. One of their most famous dishes is called “Soufiko”. It is a medley of various vegetables.

Vangelis

I went to Ikaria last year for a week. It was beautiful. The people were so much more relaxed and less money-focussed than the more touristy islands. The food was incredible! It was the best Greek food I have had at a restaurant anywhere in Greece. From what I could see, they eat a lot of fish and vegetables. They also dance a lot at paniyiria! It was a great experience and if you are interested in the blue zones, definitely worth a visit!

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Greek Cheeses to Eat in Greece...

Growing up outside of Greece, I ate a lot of Feta Cheese ... I mean, it's delicious! Also, it's the easiest to find.

I know that there are a ton of different cheeses in Greece, though, and the cheeses that are available are somewhat regional.

Here is where I know I am definitely going:

Athens
Corinth
Kythira

And if I have time, I was hoping to head to Santorini. I will be in Greece for about a month and I am not sure how long I will stay in each place. There's a lot to see and do in Athens alone, plus I have people to visit.

Other "Leaves" to Use for Stuffing?

I have seen various "stuffed" leaf-type dishes in Greek cuisine, and I am realizing that the filling is always pretty similar. The two common ones I see are grape leaves (delicious in early summer when I can pick the leaves) and cabbage.

I noticed that there are other types of "leaves" that can be used. I think someone says they often use Swiss chard? What else can be used? I love every type of dish in this category. Thanks!

Traditional Cretan Cuisine?

It is likely that I will be going to Crete this year, particular the Heraklion area so I can visit Knossos Palace. I have heard that there are some unique elements to Cretan cuisine to explore while there.

Someone told me to order a dish called Dakos. I see online that it is a bread dish with tomato and cheese. Is this something I can make at home easily to give it a try?

I know in the summer, Village Salad is a staple - I heard that they commonly use a cheese that resembles Feta, but isn't?

Cretans seem to love finding their food wild and eating it fresh. I know this is common all over Greece.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube