1 - 7 of 7 Posts

nadellii

I have been studying the "Blue Zone" concept and I am excited to see that an island in Greece made the cut. In my research about the island, I can see that some of the food is a little different than it is in the rest of Greece, and that it is very much tied to what is available on the island. I know other places in Greece are like this, too, such as Crete. Anyway, I wanted to research a bit about the cuisine of Ikaria. Please chime in with any feedback about this list, or if you have anything to add:
  • Like a lot of Greece, Ikarians seem to forage. I saw salad recipes with purslane and other wild greens
  • Lots of fresh food, like freshly picked veggies and fruits, fresh-caught fit
  • It seems that when an animal is used, they use as much of the animal as they can (organ meats, bones, the regular meat, etc)
  • I believe the food supply on the island is self sustaining?
  • They drink a lot of wine on the island
I am not 100% sure how this is any different from other places, like Crete. I think Ikaria made the list because of the life expectancy and overall health? Does anyone know of any good dishes I can try?

Hi Nadellii,
Ikaria produces a wonderful cheese from the goats that roam the mountains called Kathoura. Also their pine honey “peukomelo” is tooted to be one of the best honeys in Greece. One of their most famous dishes is called “Soufiko”. It is a medley of various vegetables.

Reactions: nadellii
I went to Ikaria last year for a week. It was beautiful. The people were so much more relaxed and less money-focussed than the more touristy islands. The food was incredible! It was the best Greek food I have had at a restaurant anywhere in Greece. From what I could see, they eat a lot of fish and vegetables. They also dance a lot at paniyiria! It was a great experience and if you are interested in the blue zones, definitely worth a visit!

Reactions: nadellii
Hi Nadellii,
Ikaria produces a wonderful cheese from the goats that roam the mountains called Kathoura. Also their pine honey “peukomelo” is tooted to be one of the best honeys in Greece. One of their most famous dishes is called “Soufiko”. It is a medley of various vegetables.
Thank you! I will look for this these, and the honey and other foods, as well.

I went to Ikaria last year for a week. It was beautiful. The people were so much more relaxed and less money-focussed than the more touristy islands. The food was incredible! It was the best Greek food I have had at a restaurant anywhere in Greece. From what I could see, they eat a lot of fish and vegetables. They also dance a lot at paniyiria! It was a great experience and if you are interested in the blue zones, definitely worth a visit!
These are some beautiful insights. It really sounds like they live such a healthy lifestyle. - it sounds like it doesn't matter which restaurant I visit, it's likely all good? Goes to show you that being a "blue zone" is about more than just the food. I can't wait to see it in action.

Reactions: Vangelis
These are some beautiful insights. It really sounds like they live such a healthy lifestyle. - it sounds like it doesn't matter which restaurant I visit, it's likely all good? Goes to show you that being a "blue zone" is about more than just the food. I can't wait to see it in action.
Not every restaurant is great. Stick to the traditional ones and you will be rewarded. We stayed in Armenistis and we drove up the mountain a little (10mins I think) and there we found Τα μπακαλιαρακια της Αθηνας

The food was amazing. Very unique too.

Not every restaurant is great. Stick to the traditional ones and you will be rewarded. We stayed in Armenistis and we drove up the mountain a little (10mins I think) and there we found Τα μπακαλιαρακια της Αθηνας

The food was amazing. Very unique too.
I agree with this advice not just in Ikaria, but everywhere in Greece. Stick with traditional places! Also, Vangelis, thank you for sharing the name of the restaurant. I have never actually been to Ikaria but have a list of "possibilities" for Greece and I tucked this away for when I go eventually.

Reactions: Vangelis

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Getting souvlaki tender?

How do you make tender Greek souvlaki? I've attempted various recipes, marinated for different durations, and experimented with both high and low cooking temps, but I seem to be missing the mark for that mouth-watering tenderness commonly found in authentic Greek souvlaki.

Has anyone found a particular method or ingredient that makes a significant difference in achieving that ideal tenderness?

I use ladolemono, a marinate it overnight in ziplock baggies (after I cut the meat in cubes) and then I add them to the skewers and cook them on the grill. I typically use chicken.

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back