1 - 2 of 2 Posts

seleanor

This video shows church services straight from Kefalonia on the saints day of Saint Gerasimus who is the patron saint of Kefalonia. Regions in Greece will have what is called a patron saint, who is said to protect and watch over the island. As you will see in the video, everyone from the surrounding area and villages will gather for this very important celebration and ceremony, it is truly a delight to see!

I made it a goal this year to learn more about the saints. This is wonderful - thanks for sharing!

Visiting Lixouri in Kefalonia?

I am planing to go to Kefalonia and want to stay in a town that has a lot going on but maybe isn't so big and overwhelming. I researched and thought maybe Lixouri was a candidate?

This will be my first time on Kefalonia and I am interested in any tips you can give, such as:
  • What are the must-see attractions in and around Lixouri?
  • Can you suggest any hidden gems that a tourist might typically overlook?
  • What's the best way to get around the town and to nearby sites?
  • Any advice on local dining spots or unforgettable culinary experiences?
  • I'm also interested in outdoor activities — are there any particular hikes or natural wonders not to be missed?
  • Lastly, if you have any tips on cultural etiquette or local customs, I’d love to hear about them!
Thank you!

Top Attractions in Kefalonia

Planning a trip to kefalonia next year. I want to see the turtles - I was thinking of going at the end of June. Does this make sense to see the turtles?

In addition I want to see the following - did I miss anything?

- Melissani Cave
- Skala Beach (and other beaches)
- Castle of Agios Georgios

Anything else I should prioritize?

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?

What to do in Kefalonia with family?

I'm currently planning a family trip to the stunning island of Kefalonia and would love your insights. We're a large family and we're all going. My sister has two kids - one is 12 and the other is 9. We are also traveling with my parents.

From our initial research, we know that Kefalonia boasts beautiful beaches, fascinating caves, and picturesque villages. However, we want to ensure our trip is as memorable for our children as it is for us.

Could anyone recommend:
  • Family-friendly beaches with shallow waters and fun activities?
  • Cultural or historical sites that are engaging for children?
  • Places to see wildlife or participate in outdoor adventures suitable for young ones?
  • Any local eateries that are great for families, perhaps with play areas or menus catered to kids?
We're also open to any tips on getting around the island with children, as we're debating between renting a car or relying on public transport.

Thanks!

Best way to get from Athens to Kefalonia?

I am booking my transportation for my trip to Kefalonia. I will have to fly into Athens, and I will be spending some time in Athens (haven't decided how long). From there, I would like t travel to Kefalonia. What is the best way? Should I just do the ferry? I also don't mind flying.

The one detail is that I ideally would like to leave from Kefalonia to go home to the United States. Should I plan on staying in Athens again? Logistically, I know this isn't ideal, to need to leave from Kefalonia for home, so maybe I should split my Athens trip up (about two weeks in Athens) to make it easier on myself?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back