1 - 2 of 2 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Greece actually has a bit of a skiing scene. I didn't realize this until recently! There appear to be a handful of ski resorts. Did I miss anything?

Parnassos Ski Resort - Located near the historical town of Delphi, Parnassos Ski Resort is one of Greece's largest ski resorts, catering to skiers of all levels. Known for its crisp snow and stunning views of the Gulf of Corinth, the resort has 19 well-groomed pistes that spread across two main ski areas. In addition to skiing, Parnassos also offers various après-ski activities, including candlelit dinners, cocktail parties and clubs for those looking for some evening entertainment.

Mount Olympus Ski Resort - Named after famous Mount Olympus, the resort is a perfect blend of winter sports and Greek Mythology. The ski station is located inside a national park, surrounded by a dense forest of fir trees. The area is considered a hidden gem by avid skiers, with pristine landscapes, un-crowded pistes, and picturesque views. The resort has 10 pistes suitable for intermediates and beginners, with a gondola cable that takes visitors to the top of the mountain offering stunning views of the Aegean Sea.

Vasilitsa Ski Resort - Located in the majestic Pindos Mountain Range, Vasilitsa Ski Resort is one of the finest ski resorts in northern Greece. Surrounded by dense pine forests, the resort has 14 km of alpine skiing terrain and 16 pistes, catering to all levels of skiers. Apart from skiing, visitors can go snowshoeing, ice skating, and take a hike through the stunning surroundings. The resort has various restaurants that serve traditional Greek delicacies, including the famous pita gyros.

Kalavrita Ski Resort - Nestled in the northern part of the Peloponnese Mountain Range, Kalavrita Ski Resort is one of the most accessible ski resorts in Greece. The resort has a large ski area spread across two mountains - Helmos and Ziria - connected by a ski lift. With over 20 pistes suitable for beginners, intermediates and advanced skiers, Kalavrita is perfect for families or groups with differing levels. Skiers can also head to the town of Kalavrita, located a few kilometers down the mountain, for some sightseeing and local cuisine.

Hondrochori Ski Resort – One of the newest additions to the ski resorts in Greece, the Hondrochori Ski Resort, boasts of five modern ski lifts, which can take skiers to enjoy the sight of green fir trees underneath a blanket of snow. The resort overlooks the stunning Karpenisi town and offers a serene and peaceful ski experience. The resort includes both beginner and advanced slopes, perfect for ski school groups or expert skiers.

I have never been to Greece in the winter! I am curious what people think of this list or if people can share their experiences.

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Is Marathon a good day trip from Athens?

I've been planning an itinerary for my upcoming trip to Athens, and I've always been fascinated by the historical significance of Marathon. Considering its role in ancient history and the famous battle that took place there, it seems like a place that might be worth a visit.

However, I'm on the fence about dedicating a whole day trip to Marathon. From what I understand, it isn’t too far from Athens, but I'm trying to weigh up whether the experience is worthy compared to spending that time exploring more within the city itself.

Has anyone made the day trip to Marathon from Athens? Was it an enriching experience, and what are the can't-miss sights? Is the archeological site/museum there engaging enough for a history buff? Also, how about the logistics – is it easy to get to by public transport, or would you suggest renting a car or going with a tour?

I am just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if I should plan to stay overnight. Thanks!

marathon-greece.jpg

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance

Finding Good Food Tours of Greece?

I love Greek cuisine. I cook it all the time and I love trying new recipes. The time has come for me to think about planning a food tour! Does anyone have any advice?

I would love to hear from members of this forum about their experiences with food tours in Greece.
  1. Which regions or cities offer the best food tours?
  2. Any specific food tour companies or guides that you would recommend?
  3. What were some of the standout dishes or culinary experiences on your tour?
  4. Are there options for people with dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians?
  5. What should one expect in terms of cost and duration?
Any tips or advice on how to get the most out of such a tour would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back