1 - 16 of 16 Posts

nadellii

Greece has so many comfort foods that are home cooked with love and care. In my personal opinion, some of the best Greek comfort foods are pastitsio and makaronia mai kima. These are traditional Greek dishes that are usually only found in Greek homes and are rarely eaten at tavernas. Pastitsio and makaronia mai kima are also the favorites of many Greek children, including myself, so that’s why I always find myself going back to them. What are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

I've never heard of makaronia mai kima, but makaronia me kima is a good one :p... For me it's souvlakia (aka gyros), kalamakia (aka souvlaki).

I've never heard of makaronia mai kima, but makaronia me kima is a good one :p... For me it's souvlakia (aka gyros), kalamakia (aka souvlaki).
Obviously didn't grow up as a Greek.
Maybe grown up on hamburgers and hotdogs only

Reactions: francescool
I thought they were directly translating each letter: μαι --> mai, meaning "with"
No, μαι = είμαι, and you will sometimes see it written as μαι if the word before it ends in a vowel. For example θα είμαι (I will be) -> θα 'μαι. So writing "makaronia mai kima" reads like "spaghetti I am ground beef"

The word for "with" in Greek is "με" (me) or "μαζί" (mazi) depending on what you want to say.

Υποτίθεται ότι θα έτρωγα δύο σουβλάκια με τζατζίκι και πατάτες, αλλά δεν είχα καιρό. - I was supposed to eat two gyros with tzaziki and potatoes, but I didn't have time. (souvlaki = gyros to an Athenian)

Θες να πας στο εμπορικό κέντρο μαζί μου; - do you want to go to the mall with me?

Last edited:
No, μαι = είμαι, and you will sometimes see it written as μαι if the word before it ends in a vowel. For example θα είμαι (I will be) -> θα 'μαι. So writing "makaronia mai kima" reads like "spaghetti I am ground beef"

The word for "with" in Greek is "με" (me) or "μαζί" (mazi) depending on what you want to say.

Υποτίθεται ότι θα έτρωγα δύο σουβλάκια με τζατζίκι και πατάτες, αλλά δεν είχα καιρό. - I was supposed to eat two gyros with tzaziki and potatoes, but I didn't have time. (souvlaki = gyros to an Athenian)

Θες να πας στο εμπορικό κέντρο μαζί μου; - do you want to go to the mall with me?
Great explanation!

Great explanation!
Thanks. I have taught Greek and I've taught English (both for fun). You gotta keep things simple and provide explanations for everything.

Reactions: efhernandez_
Thanks. I have taught Greek and I've taught English (both for fun). You gotta keep things simple and provide explanations for everything.
Where did you teach Greek? At a local Greek school?

Where did you teach Greek? At a local Greek school?
No, I taught Greek in my city, and sometimes I did it online with people who spoke Spanish but wanted to learn Greek (I saw this as a way to improve my Spanish. I.e. you teach me Spanish and ill teach you Greek). It was all for free, especially the online classes.

Lucky it was for free, your Greek grammar and the use of Greek words, not the best.

Lucky it was for free, your Greek grammar and the use of Greek words, not the best.
Μάλιστα... εφόσον τα ελληνικά σου είναι τέλεια, πες μου εσύ τον σωστό τρόπο να πω την πρόταση.

Last edited:
Greece has so many comfort foods that are home cooked with love and care. In my personal opinion, some of the best Greek comfort foods are pastitsio and makaronia mai kima. These are traditional Greek dishes that are usually only found in Greek homes and are rarely eaten at tavernas. Pastitsio and makaronia mai kima are also the favorites of many Greek children, including myself, so that’s why I always find myself going back to them. What are your favorite Greek comfort foods?
I totally agree, Greece does have some of the best comfort foods! Makaronia me kima is one of my personal favorites. I also love Avgolemono soupa, and spaghetti made with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, cheese, garlic...

Reactions: acamp7
I totally agree, Greece does have some of the best comfort foods! Makaronia me kima is one of my personal favorites. I also love Avgolemono soupa, and spaghetti made with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, cheese, garlic...
Avgolemono is a classic! It's the best food when youre sick as well

Avgolemono is a classic! It's the best food when youre sick as well
I totally agree! I tend to want it most when I am not feeling well.

I love Avgolemono when I am sick, as well, and other Greek soups. For me, soup is the perfect comfort food.

Different Types of Feta Cheese?

Whenever I buy feta cheese from different places, it tastes slightly different. Does anyone know why? I know that there are specific rules for creating feta cheese, so what is responsible for his differential in flavor and texture?

Is it possible that a place (for example a restaurant) may not actually be buying "Greek" feta? Meaning, could it be a situation where they aren't following the rules and are making a feta-like cheese using different milks, etc? Perhaps it isn't from Greece?

I truly only like Greek feta as far as I know. How can the other places call it feta if they're not following the rules?

greek-feta-cheese.jpg

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Bougatsa Recipe to Try

I went to Greece and loved the Bougatsa I used to buy on the street. I thought I would share a recipe I found. I have never made it before. Does this look like the real deal? I don't want to dive in, only to realize the recipe was flawed from the beginning.

Ingredients​

For the Custard:​

• 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup fine semolina
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon (optional)

For the Assembly:​

• 1 package (about 1 pound) phyllo dough, thawed
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • Ground cinnamon, for dusting

Instructions​

Preparing the Custard:​

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and half the sugar over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and semolina. Add the eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth and pale.
  3. Gradually temper the egg mixture by adding a cup of the warm milk while whisking constantly. Then, slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk, whisking continuously.
  4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest (if using), and set aside to cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.

Preparing the Phyllo:​

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Carefully unroll the phyllo dough. Cover the sheets with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
  3. Lay one sheet of phyllo in the prepared dish and brush with melted butter. Repeat this process, layering and buttering each sheet until you have used about half of the phyllo.
  4. Pour the custard over the phyllo layers, spreading evenly.

Assembly and Baking:​

1. Continue layering and buttering the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the custard.
  2. Using a sharp knife, score the top layers of phyllo into pieces – this will make cutting the bougatsa easier after baking.
  3. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp.
  4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  5. Before serving, sift generously with confectioners' sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.

Thoughts on how to create a meze platter?

I want to lay out some meze for my next party. What do you guys think should go in it? Some thoughts:

• A variety of different Greek olives.
  • Feta cheese, and maybe one other firm Greek cheese - what should I put here?
  • Stuffed grapeleaves
  • Pitakia
  • Bread and oil for dipping
  • Perhaps some tzatziki?
Interested to hear your advice on this. The party is about in two weeks so I have plenty of time.

greek-meze.jpg

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back