1 - 16 of 16 Posts

nadellii

Greece has so many comfort foods that are home cooked with love and care. In my personal opinion, some of the best Greek comfort foods are pastitsio and makaronia mai kima. These are traditional Greek dishes that are usually only found in Greek homes and are rarely eaten at tavernas. Pastitsio and makaronia mai kima are also the favorites of many Greek children, including myself, so that’s why I always find myself going back to them. What are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

I've never heard of makaronia mai kima, but makaronia me kima is a good one :p... For me it's souvlakia (aka gyros), kalamakia (aka souvlaki).

I've never heard of makaronia mai kima, but makaronia me kima is a good one :p... For me it's souvlakia (aka gyros), kalamakia (aka souvlaki).
Obviously didn't grow up as a Greek.
Maybe grown up on hamburgers and hotdogs only

Reactions: francescool
I thought they were directly translating each letter: μαι --> mai, meaning "with"
No, μαι = είμαι, and you will sometimes see it written as μαι if the word before it ends in a vowel. For example θα είμαι (I will be) -> θα 'μαι. So writing "makaronia mai kima" reads like "spaghetti I am ground beef"

The word for "with" in Greek is "με" (me) or "μαζί" (mazi) depending on what you want to say.

Υποτίθεται ότι θα έτρωγα δύο σουβλάκια με τζατζίκι και πατάτες, αλλά δεν είχα καιρό. - I was supposed to eat two gyros with tzaziki and potatoes, but I didn't have time. (souvlaki = gyros to an Athenian)

Θες να πας στο εμπορικό κέντρο μαζί μου; - do you want to go to the mall with me?

Last edited:
No, μαι = είμαι, and you will sometimes see it written as μαι if the word before it ends in a vowel. For example θα είμαι (I will be) -> θα 'μαι. So writing "makaronia mai kima" reads like "spaghetti I am ground beef"

The word for "with" in Greek is "με" (me) or "μαζί" (mazi) depending on what you want to say.

Υποτίθεται ότι θα έτρωγα δύο σουβλάκια με τζατζίκι και πατάτες, αλλά δεν είχα καιρό. - I was supposed to eat two gyros with tzaziki and potatoes, but I didn't have time. (souvlaki = gyros to an Athenian)

Θες να πας στο εμπορικό κέντρο μαζί μου; - do you want to go to the mall with me?
Great explanation!

Great explanation!
Thanks. I have taught Greek and I've taught English (both for fun). You gotta keep things simple and provide explanations for everything.

Reactions: efhernandez_
Thanks. I have taught Greek and I've taught English (both for fun). You gotta keep things simple and provide explanations for everything.
Where did you teach Greek? At a local Greek school?

Where did you teach Greek? At a local Greek school?
No, I taught Greek in my city, and sometimes I did it online with people who spoke Spanish but wanted to learn Greek (I saw this as a way to improve my Spanish. I.e. you teach me Spanish and ill teach you Greek). It was all for free, especially the online classes.

Lucky it was for free, your Greek grammar and the use of Greek words, not the best.

Lucky it was for free, your Greek grammar and the use of Greek words, not the best.
Μάλιστα... εφόσον τα ελληνικά σου είναι τέλεια, πες μου εσύ τον σωστό τρόπο να πω την πρόταση.

Last edited:
Greece has so many comfort foods that are home cooked with love and care. In my personal opinion, some of the best Greek comfort foods are pastitsio and makaronia mai kima. These are traditional Greek dishes that are usually only found in Greek homes and are rarely eaten at tavernas. Pastitsio and makaronia mai kima are also the favorites of many Greek children, including myself, so that’s why I always find myself going back to them. What are your favorite Greek comfort foods?
I totally agree, Greece does have some of the best comfort foods! Makaronia me kima is one of my personal favorites. I also love Avgolemono soupa, and spaghetti made with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, cheese, garlic...

Reactions: acamp7
I totally agree, Greece does have some of the best comfort foods! Makaronia me kima is one of my personal favorites. I also love Avgolemono soupa, and spaghetti made with a sauce made of Greek yogurt, cheese, garlic...
Avgolemono is a classic! It's the best food when youre sick as well

Avgolemono is a classic! It's the best food when youre sick as well
I totally agree! I tend to want it most when I am not feeling well.

I love Avgolemono when I am sick, as well, and other Greek soups. For me, soup is the perfect comfort food.

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Favorite Greek Seafood?

I love Greek cuisine! I have learned that it many regions in Greece, seafood is a big part of the culinary traditions.

This got me thinking, and I'm curious to know—what's your favorite Greek seafood dish? Do you also have a favorite fish that you like to eat?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and preferences!

Thanks in advance ...

What foods do you like to eat in Greece?

I thought I would make a list of all the foods I love eating in Greece. What are your favorites? Here's my list:
  • Saganaki - love this hot cheese dish!
  • Octopus (grilled) - I can't seen to find the good stuff outside of Greece.
  • Horta - love the mix of greens they use in Greece.
  • Fasolakia - the fresh ingredients make this stunning
  • Gyro - I love gyros in Greece the best
What do you love to eat in Greece?

Thoughts on how to create a meze platter?

I want to lay out some meze for my next party. What do you guys think should go in it? Some thoughts:

• A variety of different Greek olives.
  • Feta cheese, and maybe one other firm Greek cheese - what should I put here?
  • Stuffed grapeleaves
  • Pitakia
  • Bread and oil for dipping
  • Perhaps some tzatziki?
Interested to hear your advice on this. The party is about in two weeks so I have plenty of time.

greek-meze.jpg

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back