1 - 9 of 9 Posts

efhernandez_

I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!

That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.

Reactions: nadellii
That depends on where the family is from, because that will determine the main style of dance. I went to a party from Crete once and it was nothing but Kritika (Cretan dances)... no nisiotika (dances from the other islands), no ipirotika (dances from Epirus), no piliotika (dances from Pilios), etc... If the family still acts very Greek, then this is would I would expect - only kritika. If they are Greek-American/Australian/Canadian/etc.. then you can probably expect a mixture of other dances such as tsamiko, kalamatiano, zeibekiko, and some kritika

You could always message the couple and ask what dances there will be so you can learn before the wedding.
I would recommend pentozali, it’s one of the most popular Cretan dances.

Reactions: francescool
I'm going to a Greek wedding very soon and I definitely need to learn a couple of moves. I know that there are so many group dances, and it's pretty much impossible that I'll be able to learn all of them. So I think that it's a good idea that I learn at least one classic dance that will definitely be danced at this Greek wedding. I know that both families are from Crete, so I'm not sure how that affects which dances people will be dancing. Any expert advice is greatly appreciated! This is my first Greek wedding!
I think the syrto is a good start.

I would learn the Syrto. The traditional bride song is a Syrto (this song):

Sousta. Most islands and providebces have there own version. Usually 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Kastellorizians ven have a "wedding song" for the sousta - Mana hara. Patisqua

I think a good place to start, as well, is to ask the couple which songs will be playing, or which dances they usually dance, so that you can dance the right dances in advance. I mean, there are thousands of dances in Greece and it all depends on where they're from...

The most popular in the US is Kalamatiano. When my daughter got married in the G.O.C in Chicago, many in the wedding party and on the grooms side were not familiar with Greek traditions. She decided to have a casual rehearsal dinner in the church gym with the bridal party, their significant others and the grooms close family that were traveling in from out of town. After the dinner, she and her closest Greek friends gave everyone dance lessons. The wedding for both the Greeks and and non-Greeks was a blast.

Reactions: blopez34

Navigating Greek Lenten Fasting - Advice?

Lent is here and all my friends and family have been asking "what are you doing for lent this year?" They're all "giving something up" but I decided I wanted to fast. I would love your help and advice because this is the first time I am doing things in a stricter way. I resolve to see it through!

It's supposed to be a a time of reflection, purification, and preparation for the celebration of Easter, and the diet plays a significant part in this spiritual journey. I don't want to get so obsessed with the "rules" that I lose myself in them and forget why I am fasting int he first place.

Thanks in advance!

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back