1 - 7 of 7 Posts

ssherie_

I've always heard that Cretan olive oil is "liquid gold" or that it's somehow better quality than other Greek olive oil. Does anyone know if and why this is true? I haven't really noticed a difference in taste

Having lived in Mykonos for many years all Greek olive oils are Liquid gold in my opinion,we used Altis organic I think it was from Crete.. a little peppary taste,tried many others too! Sparta Bronze here in Thailand is nice, have tried Sparta Gold also,no country can compete with Greek olive oil.... for sure.... tried so many Italian and Spanish brands..... nothing comes close to Greek olive oil!

Greeks are proud people who have pride for their country but also for their specific regions and islands. My Kretan friends say olive oil from Krete is the best, my Kalamatan friends say their oil is the best and the list goes on and on.
In my opinion you can’t go wrong with any quality olive oil from Greece.

Greeks are proud people who have pride for their country but also for their specific regions and islands. My Kretan friends say olive oil from Krete is the best, my Kalamatan friends say their oil is the best and the list goes on and on.
Rivalry and passion is always healthy,we must have tried so many different brands, living in Mykonos,we always had sellers passing by all summer selling different things, some from Samos with trucks full of oranges and they bring with them a few hundred litres of home pressed olive oil from the winter past,then we have the Gypsies, they are the best, they have so much to sell, sometimes we used to buy the whole drum to share,my friend has a very big Taverna so he buys thousands of litres of Cretan olive oil in very big drums so we just enjoy the different oils from the Greek islands,Kalamata sellers too used to passby amazing selection of oil and olives!👋

Reactions: ssherie_
Having lived in Mykonos for many years all Greek olive oils are Liquid gold in my opinion,we used Altis organic I think it was from Crete.. a little peppary taste,tried many others too! Sparta Bronze here in Thailand is nice, have tried Sparta Gold also,no country can compete with Greek olive oil.... for sure.... tried so many Italian and Spanish brands..... nothing comes close to Greek olive oil!
Spain and Italy use Greek olives to make their olive oil. So all olive oil is Greek

Reactions: G Aidonidou
So true! You can't go wrong :)

I have never met a Greek olive oil I didn't enjoy and for me, it's all about freshness. If I manage to enjoy it shortly after pressing, I'll think it tastes better. When I was on Crete, that's what was happening - but I've enjoyed olive oil all over Greece and it's all amazing!

Priorities for exploring Chania's old town?

I’m planning a trip to the enchanting old town of Chania and I’ve heard so much about its rich history and vibrant culture. With so many intriguing options, I find myself grappling with where to begin and how to prioritize my time effectively.

For those who have experience of Chania—what would you say should be at the top of my list?

My interests range broadly, from historical landmarks, museums, and art galleries, to culinary delights and local crafts. I’m particularly fascinated by the blend of architectural styles and cultural influences evident in Chania.

Thanks in advance!

chania-crete.jpg

Tips for visiting Elafonissi Beach?

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Crete and have been intrigued by pictures of Elafonissi Beach's pink sands and beautiful crystal blue waters. As I'm putting together my itinerary, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for some insider tips. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on the following:

• Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of day or year to visit Elafonissi Beach to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  • Transportation: What are the best transportation options to reach the beach? Are there any recommended car rental agencies or public transport options?
  • Facilities: Does the beach have facilities like sunbeds, umbrellas, or cafes?
  • Local Eateries: Are there any must-try local eateries in the area that offer authentic Cretan cuisine?
  • Accommodation: Can you recommend any nearby accommodations ranging from budget to luxury?
  • Activities: Besides swimming and sunbathing, what other activities can one enjoy at or near Elafonissi Beach?
Also, are there any specific dos and don'ts or local customs I should be aware of while visiting Elafonissi Beach? Thanks in advance!

This is one of the photos I saw - it looks gorgeous there!

elafonissi-beach-crete.jpg

Best Beaches with Services on Crete

It's tough for my family to visit beaches that don't have services - like a restaurant, bathrooms, because we are traveling with multiple generations and usually spend the whole day.

Do the following beaches have services? I will be going with my family end of June next year:

- Elafonissi
- Balos
- Matala
- Stalis

I am having a hard time visualizing based on descriptions I am finding online.

Seeing the Samaria Gorge without Hiking?

Is it possible to see the Samaria Gorge without doing the long hike?

I will be in Crete over the summer. I heard the hike is long. 11 miles, most of it downhill or flat. I just don't think I am up for it. Downhill climbing hurts my knee too much.

I have a friend who goes to Crete a lot and made an off-hand comment that you don't need to hike, but she didn't know all the details.

Does anyone hear? She mentioned taking a ferry. I am having a hard time picturing it. I looked into tours and they all involve hiking.

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back