1 - 6 of 6 Posts

mastichas09

Does anyone know if there are more earthquakes on certain islands than others? I would love to visit Kefalonia but I have a huge fear of earthquakes!! Which places should I avoid?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member

#OnKefalonia

Does anyone know if there are more earthquakes on certain islands than others? I would love to visit Kefalonia but I have a huge fear of earthquakes!! Which places should I avoid?
Hi

Earthquakes are not uncommon on the island but in the main are low level and not necessarily felt across the whole island.

Obviously the earthquake in 1953 flattened 85% of the island but as a result of this the island has rigorous requirements for all buildings to be anti seismic.

The last earthquake that did more significant damage was in 2014 and mainly affected the Paliki.

redsoxdw_

Hi

Earthquakes are not uncommon on the island but in the main are low level and not necessarily felt across the whole island.

Obviously the earthquake in 1953 flattened 85% of the island but as a result of this the island has rigorous requirements for all buildings to be anti seismic.

The last earthquake that did more significant damage was in 2014 and mainly affected the Paliki.
I've never heard of this earthquake thanks for sharing. https://www.greeka.com/ionian/kefalonia/history/earthquake/ Here's a link for anyone who wants to know more. Very tragic

k_tsoukalas

Seismic reports can you usually predict an earthquake, right? I would just read current seismic information, or maybe even just try to put it out of my mind:

There are plenty of earthquakes in Greece due to the amount of fasolatha that is consumed.

The Iakovatios library and museum in Kefalonia

This museum and library has so much history. I would love to hear personal reviews if anyone has been. It is housed in an old mansion that was owned by the Typaldi-Iakovatios family. It is one of those places that survived after the massive earthquake that hit the island. However, it did sustain some damage during it. The mansion was restored in 1984 and is now home to a vast collection of books (around 20,000) and other collectibles.

Does anyone know if Mount Ainos is open?

I know that it was closed because of some fires but I'm not sure if its open again. Does anyone know?

I visited Gentilini winery in Kefalonia and it was amazing!

Gentilini is a really small family winery on the island that has a great selection of wines. I went on the tour and was able to see where all of the wines were made. Tours start in Easter and end in October, highly recommend to anyone visiting Kefalonia during those months.

Visit the Monastery of the Holy Virgin, Lamia!

I love Annas blog :) check out her short description and tips on visiting the monastery with some great pictures. Oh how I love the look of old buildings

Which port is best to rent a boat: Sami or Poros?

I'm thinking of renting a boat to travel around the island and the nearby waters. Which port is it best to leave from? Does it make a difference?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter