1 - 6 of 6 Posts

seleanor

Mandola is a very popular sweet in Kefalonia and it is one of the biggest exports from the island. This treat is made of almond, honey, sugar and egg whites. The dessert has a few different variations, but is usually gluten free! The ingredients are very simple which is why they are so allergen friendly. I was doing some research and apparently these cookies are originally from the Venetian occupation in Kefalonia.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
Mandola is a very popular sweet in Kefalonia and it is one of the biggest exports from the island. This treat is made of almond, honey, sugar and egg whites. The dessert has a few different variations, but is usually gluten free! The ingredients are very simple which is why they are so allergen friendly. I was doing some research and apparently these cookies are originally from the Venetian occupation in Kefalonia.
Is this the Greek word for Marzipan? Sweet almond paste, right? That people bake with? The Greek versions are so delicious!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
This has been one of my favorite sweets over the years. Whenever family members go to Kefalonia, and when I go myself, I always make sure to get some. I would definitely try some if you are able!

Reactions: acamp7
Is this the Greek word for Marzipan? Sweet almond paste, right? That people bake with? The Greek versions are so delicious!

Here's some more info about the desert, I've never heard of it or had it myself, it's just some info I found online

Indeed "mandorla" [akin to "mandola"] is the standard Italian word for "almond", from the Latin word which is from the classical Greek "amygdalE". A nice circulation of words! Even though the Greek colonization [8th century B.C.] took place in southern Italy, there was a town in Etruscan territory, near the later Venice, that the Romans found and called "amanda" [= to be loved], obviously by assimilating the name they heard to their own language: they must have heard "amygda-" [amunda-]. In the South, the second alpha turned into an omicron, as in the extant names of various places and persons: Amendolea, Amendolara, etc. // I love almonds and their products.

Indeed "mandorla" [akin to "mandola"] is the standard Italian word for "almond", from the Latin word which is from the classical Greek "amygdalE". A nice circulation of words! Even though the Greek colonization [8th century B.C.] took place in southern Italy, there was a town in Etruscan territory, near the later Venice, that the Romans found and called "amanda" [= to be loved], obviously by assimilating the name they heard to their own language: they must have heard "amygda-" [amunda-]. In the South, the second alpha turned into an omicron, as in the extant names of various places and persons: Amendolea, Amendolara, etc. // I love almonds and their products.
An extension rather than a reply.
I understand that the modern Greek word for Almond is Amygdalo; that is, the terminal letter of the classical word [eta] turned into an omicron rather than into a customary Doric alpha. So, the vowel shift must have taken place among the Ionians or the Athenians, probably in Byzantine times. //
The Italian word for Almond, namely Mandorla, was also used for a musical instrument in the 16th-17th century, since the front of the guitar-like instrument has the shape of an almond. It is the ancestor of the Mandolino/Mandolin [= Little Mandorla]. Its ancestor is disputed. One theory says that it was the Pandoura. This name is Greek, but apparently the instrument was played by the Akkadians [who took over Sumer in Mesopotania] in the 3rd millennium B.C. Anyway, Wikipedia shows the picture of a Tanagra statuette from about 200 B.C.: a young lady is playing a Pandoura, which has a polygonal rather than almond shape. [Tanagra was in Boeotia, north of Athens.]
Today's Bouzouki [MPoyzoyki] is a very long necked Mandorla which, they say, was introduced to Greece in 1900 from Anatolia -- exactly from where? From the former Ionia?It seems to me that the old name "Pandoura" referred to the long wooden neck/stem, rather than the body, of the instrument. [[Please add any information you may have.]]
By the way, the Akkadians assimilated the Sumerian culture and language. I have found already that this language, written in cuneiforms, was largely based on classical Greek, and so are Sanskrit, Etruscan, Anglo-Saxon, and Basque.

Last edited:

Always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia...

I have a bucket list of going to Kefalonia while the turtles are on the beaches. I love turtles and this seems like a really beautiful thing.

I found this video that talks about them. It's not quite seeing them in person, but it was informative. Thought I'd share:

Best beaches in Kefalonia for families?

I'm in the process of planning what I hope to be an unforgettable family vacation to the beautiful island of Kefalonia. With its stunning landscapes and inviting sea, I can't think of a better place to spend quality time with the family.

However, as we all know, not all beaches are created equal, especially when it comes to finding spots that are both beautiful and suitable for families. Factors like gentle waves, shallow waters, accessibility, and nearby facilities (such as restrooms and places to eat) can make all the difference in ensuring a stress-free and enjoyable day at the beach for both parents and kids.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have for beaches that fit this bill. Our family loves a mix of adventures and relaxation, so suggestions for beaches with a bit of both would be fantastic. Are there any particular spots that have captured your heart due to their beauty, safety, and family-friendly amenities?

What to do in Corfu for couples?

My partner and I are planning a romantic getaway to Corfu, Greece, and we're looking for some insider tips on the best experiences for couples. We've heard so much about Corfu's natural beauty and rich history, but we're hoping to tailor our itinerary to include activities that are especially romantic.

We're open to anything, whether it's relaxing on secluded beaches, exploring charming villages, enjoying candlelit dinners with stunning views, or embarking on adventurous excursions together. Ideally, we'd love to find a balance between leisurely, romantic moments and exciting adventures that we can share as a couple.

If you were us, what would you do while on the island?

Travel to Kefalonia in May?

I plan to go to Greece at the end of April leading up to Orthodox Easter, which is at the beginning of May.

I will spend Holy Week and Easter near Athens.

Then, I would love to visit another place. I am considering Kefalonia. Is early May a good time of year to go to Kefalonia?

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?
Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back