1 - 3 of 3 Posts

auroracoor1

I am starting to make my pack list for Greece. I plan to get there at the end of August. What is the weather like? It's been a while since I've been and I need answers to some questions:

- Does it get cold at night?
- Should I expect some rain?
- How are the winds? Will I need a windbreaker?

Also I am curious about fashion stuff... what do the women tend to wear in Greece? I know that's vague, but I don't want to look totally like a tourist in my wardrobe.

Where are you going? How cool it gets at night will depend on where in Greece you’re going and if there’s a breeze. I usually take a very light-weight black (no button) cardigan just in case to wear over bare-shoulder dresses at night. The change in season with typically some more rain and wind, generally doesn’t occur until the 3rd week in September. Episodes of summer rain are usually intense, but brief unless you’re dealing with a multi-day weather front. A light rain/windbreaker jacket or a travel umbrella could be taken “just in case” but probably won’t be needed.

I like to wear a casual day dress with sandals in Athens, but you’ll see everyone wearing shorts, sneakers, large satchels and backpacks, and HATS! To not stand out too much as a tourist, carrying less is more - the same is definitely true of luggage! A lot of suitcase companies offer compression packing cubes. Honestly for years I’ve used two gallon zip-lock bags, grouped similar items, and managed to pack for 7 weeks (Aug./Sept.,Greece & Italy) in a 22” bag!

I would stick to a more neutral palette with maybe some solid pops of color - and only take clothes that you truly feel comfortable in and that mix well. Suitcase editing is the challenge, but it pays off and it’s been very rare that I’ve wished for something left at home or that I felt inappropriately dressed. Since you’ve been to Greece before, you probably already know what type of clothing worked the best for you. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Deborah gave some great advice. I have a wardrobe where everything kind of goes together, so I am able to take fewer pieces. I always pack a lightweight covering like a sweater or windbreaker even when I go in the summer.

I would suggest not waiting until the last minute - think about what you need outfits for and lay it all out, and let yourself edit as needed.

Tips for Eco Friendly Travel Tips for Greece

I’m planning a trip to Greece and really want to make it as eco-friendly as possible. I’m interested in sustainable travel practices, from transportation to accommodation and activities. I’d love some advice on the following:
  1. Eco-Friendly Transportation: Best ways to get around Greece with minimal environmental impact. Are there any green transportation options between the islands?
  2. Sustainable Accommodation: Recommendations for eco-friendly hotels or guesthouses, particularly in Athens, Crete, and Santorini.
  3. Green Activities: Suggestions for activities that have a low environmental footprint. Are there any eco-tours or volunteer opportunities focused on conservation?
  4. Local Tips: Any advice on supporting local businesses and reducing waste while traveling in Greece.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Where do you like to visit in the Peloponnese?

I’m planning a trip to the beautiful Peloponnese region in Greece and I’d love to hear about your favorite places to visit there. Whether it’s hidden gems, historical sites, stunning beaches, or charming towns—I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Some of the spots I’ve already heard great things about include:
  • Nafplio: The picturesque seaport town with its medieval castles and vibrant streets.
  • Monemvasia: Known for its medieval fortress and breathtaking views.
  • Olympia: The site of the ancient Olympic Games with its impressive ruins.
  • Mani Peninsula: For its rugged landscape and unique tower houses.
  • Epidaurus: Famous for its ancient theater and historical significance.
I’m open to any suggestions, including local restaurants, activities, and accommodations. Looking forward to your tips and personal experiences!

Seeking Tips: Top Culinary Spots in Greece?

I am planning a trip to Greece and in need of some culinary guidance. Where are the must-visit spots for authentic Greek cuisine? From Athens to the islands, I'm looking for local favorites, hidden gems, and any must-try dishes. Whether it's a bustling market or a cozy taverna, I want to hear about the places that left you craving more. Any tips on where to find the freshest seafood or the crispiest spanakopita?

I would live it if you would share your recommendations and help me plan the ultimate foodie adventure. Looking forward to the trip for sure!

Cruising the Ionian Islands Questions

The Ionian Islands have captivated my imagination for years, with their storied history, lush landscapes, and crystal-clear waters. The thought of waking up each morning to a new island and a new experience is thrilling, to say the least.

However, I'm a bit at sea (pun intended) about where to begin planning such a voyage. Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Which Cruise Line Should I Consider?
  • Are there specific cruise lines that you would recommend based on personal experience that cater well to exploring the Ionian Islands?
  1. Best Time of Year to Go?
  • When is the ideal time to take this cruise? I've read varying reports on weather and crowd sizes throughout the year.
  1. Must-Visit Islands and Attractions
  • For those of you who have traveled to the Ionian Islands, which islands were your favorite, and are there any must-see attractions?
Thanks in advance!

Is Marathon a good day trip from Athens?

I've been planning an itinerary for my upcoming trip to Athens, and I've always been fascinated by the historical significance of Marathon. Considering its role in ancient history and the famous battle that took place there, it seems like a place that might be worth a visit.

However, I'm on the fence about dedicating a whole day trip to Marathon. From what I understand, it isn’t too far from Athens, but I'm trying to weigh up whether the experience is worthy compared to spending that time exploring more within the city itself.

Has anyone made the day trip to Marathon from Athens? Was it an enriching experience, and what are the can't-miss sights? Is the archeological site/museum there engaging enough for a history buff? Also, how about the logistics – is it easy to get to by public transport, or would you suggest renting a car or going with a tour?

I am just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if I should plan to stay overnight. Thanks!

marathon-greece.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back