21 - 22 of 22 Posts
A Retrospection
In an earlier post in this thread, I stated that the word Melissa is an epithet or [feminine] descriptive adjective that was used as a noun, as the name of a certain insect, since I took the ending "-issa" to be an adjective maker or mark like -ikos [English "-ic"] and other
voicings/vocables. But I realize that it can simply be the feminine gender form of any kind of word, possibly along with "-issos" and "-isson". For instance, a man is a kratOr but the female counterpart is a kratorissa. These two Greek words are nouns, just as are the Italian Principe and Principessa [Prince and Princess].
While discussing "melissa", I thought of the word "larissa", which, as I then found out, is actually the Greek word "larisa", the name of various ancient Greek cities. I had wandered whether the word is an adjective and whether there is the masculine "*larisos". No, for Larisa is a noun, which, says a dictionary, means or has the sense of "fortress". On the contrary, I think that the noun Larisa was formed out of the word Laris, an adjective that means, according to Liddell-Scott, Pleasant (to the eyes, ears, tongue), hence Lovely, Sweet, and the like. Hence I presume that "Ialyssos" (considered in our Rhodes Forum) is a masculine noun and that its "-yssos" is from the past participle of the verb "luO".

If you're a modern Greek speaker then ancient Greek will really improve your modern Greek. Many of the words used today are ancient Greek, and some of the expressions used are ancient Greek.

Speaking of latin, some words are Latin- e.g. the word for sugar in Greek is zaxari (ζάχαρη) which comes from zaccharo, and the word for honey in Greek is meli (μέλι) which comes from the Latin word mel
Hallo, Ellina,
You spoke of the derivation of two Greek words, and I have already dealt with "meli". Now I wish to deal with "zakharE". [By the way, your transliteration into the Roman alphabet is wrong since the Roman "x" represents the sound "ks", not "kh", even though the two letters look almost the same. Moreover, you wrote the "i" in order to express the way you pronounce the Greek eta, but I wrote the big "E" to transliterate the eta, rather than the small "e", which for me transliterates an epsilon.
The word "zaccharo" is not a Latin word; it looks Italian (possibly Venetian), because it is almost the same as the standard Italian word, "zucchero". Here the h is not a phoneme; it is simply an indicator that the c behind it has to be prononced like a k, otherwise it is pronounced as in the English word "cheese". Therefore the h in "zaccharo" is unnecessary, as in "accademy".

Enough about orthography. Now I wish to say that you (or someone else) recognized that "zaxari" and "zacchero" are COGNATE words, that is, that they are names of one and the same thing, namely that which in English we call "sugar", and that they have the same or almost the same sound. But then we should realize that the English word "sugar" is also a cognate word.
You claim that the Greek word in question comes from a Latin word (which historically happens to be "saccharum"), probably because it is a cognate of your Greek and because modern Greek is a language younger than Latin. Might the Latin word come from the Greek (the classical Greek) word?
To begin with, the Latin word is spelled with an H, precisely because their CH was a transcription of the Greek X . So, we can reconstruct a Greek-like word: *sakXarum. Its -arum is a traditional variant of the Greek -aron (for a singular neutral word). Therefore, the reconstructed word should be *sakXaron.
Believe it not, I searched the Liddell-Scott (Classical)Greek-English Dictionary [online], which lists words present in ancient Greek literature, and I found:
-----------[ Ho sa`kkhar (genit. sa`kkharos). Also: sakkhari, sakkharis, sakkaron. It = sugar, which was made from Indian cane or palm. Cf. Sanskrit "sa`rkara". ]----------------------
Presumably the Indic name was imported into Greece in ancient times and slightly modified. It denotes a sweet white stuff, but nobody says what it means, such as "sweet stuff" or "honey-like stuff". The Greek [as well as the Latin] "-ar(os)" has various senses, as in Honorary, Secondary, Voluntary, etc. These are adjectives that, like "sweet white", express what a stuff is or does or undergoes. Maybe we can think of a suitable aro-adjective.

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

How did the Marshall Plan affect Greece?

I've recently taken an interest in the post-WWII recovery efforts and came across the Marshall Plan, which was introduced by the United States to aid European countries in rebuilding their economies. Given that Greece was significantly affected during the war, I'm curious about the specific impact the Marshall Plan had on Greece.

From what I've gathered, Greece, like many other European countries, faced tremendous economic challenges post-WWII, including infrastructure damage, inflation, and high unemployment rates. The Marshall Plan, formally known as the European Recovery Program, promised substantial financial aid to help rebuild war-torn nations, but I'm curious about how this plan was implemented in Greece specifically and what long-term effects it had on its economy and society.

I am so curious as to how, specifically, this plan affected Greece?

Question about Greece during WWI

I am trying to learn more about Greek history. This is a family project! What I am learning about now is Greece's involvement in WWI. From what I've gathered, Greece had a rather complex and interesting stance during World War I, but I'm looking for more in-depth information.

Could anyone here provide insights or point me towards resources that detail:

1. Greece's political climate leading up to its involvement in WWI.
  2. The significance of the National Schism and how it affected Greece's participation.
  3. Key battles or military campaigns that Greek forces were involved in.
Thanks so much!

Family Trees

Hey fellow members,

As we traverse the rich tapestry of Greek culture and history on this platform, I've been pondering something quite fascinating: our family histories. How many of us have delved into the intricate branches of our family trees?

Genealogy, the study of family history and lineage, often unveils captivating stories, connections, and traditions passed down through generations. Whether you're just beginning to trace your ancestry or have been meticulously documenting it for years, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Here are a few questions to spark our discussion:

1. What inspired you to start researching your family history?
  2. Have you encountered any unexpected discoveries or fascinating tales along the way?
  3. What resources or tools have you found most helpful in your genealogical journey?
  4. Do you have any tips or advice for someone interested in starting their own family tree?
Feel free to share your insights, anecdotes, or even questions you might have about genealogy. Let's embark on this journey together and unravel the stories that shape our identities!

Looking forward to our discussion,

RizeGen

Learning about Greek Independence Day

March 25th marks a significant celebration in Greece, but I realize my knowledge on its historical context is quite limited.

From what I understand, this day commemorates the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821, where Greece sought to end several centuries of Ottoman rule. However, I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of this period, the key figures involved, and how the struggle for independence unfolded over time.

Additionally, I'd be interested in understanding how this day is celebrated across Greece today and whether any particular traditions are tied to it. For example, are there specific ceremonies, parades, or family traditions that uniquely mark this day in Greek culture?

Greek-flag.jpg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back