1 - 5 of 5 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

Reactions: dubai_suzie
Many people don't know this, but there is a water shortage in Santorini. Do your part while traeveling there and be mindful of how much water you're using!! Try not to leave the tap on when you're not using water and don't waste water! You can read more about the water crisis in Greece here https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/partner-content-where-our-water-goes-greece
This is crazy....I had no idea that this was happening. Thanks for sharing, I'll be very careful next time that I'm in Greece

Many people don't know this, but there is a water shortage in Santorini. Do your part while traeveling there and be mindful of how much water you're using!! Try not to leave the tap on when you're not using water and don't waste water! You can read more about the water crisis in Greece here https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/partner-content-where-our-water-goes-greece
Wow, you're right - I had no idea! I guess I you think about it, it kind of makes sense, given that the water supply is limited on such a small island and Greece doesn't get a lot of rain.

This is so crazy, we take "running water" completely for granted. The water issue looks like it could become a huge problem. We all need to do our part!

Reactions: paharo45
I think it will be a huge problem too, you're right!
This is so crazy, we take "running water" completely for granted. The water issue looks like it could become a huge problem. We all need to do our part!

Volcanic history on Santorini?

I've always been fascinated by the natural wonders of the world, and recently I have become particularly interested in the volcanic landscape of Santorini. I understand that the island's dramatic cliffs, unique beaches, and overall topography are heavily influenced by its explosive volcanic past.

However, I'm looking to go beyond just the surface and truly understand the evidence of Santorini's volcanic activity. Could any geology enthusiasts, historians, or locals provide more detailed insights into:

1. Specific Landforms: What are the most apparent geological features on the island that indicate its volcanic nature?
  2. Volcanic Materials: Are there any areas where you can see different layers of ash or pumice stone resulting from various eruptions over time
I'd appreciate pictures, personal stories, or academic resources that could help in understanding the evidence of Santorini's volcanic landscape.

Hotel in Santorini with a view like this?

My wife and I are going to Santorini soon. We usually stay with people, but they don't live on the caldera like this.

I thought it would be a nice treat to stay somewhere for a few days that his this kind of a view!

I know there are some great caldera-perched places in Oia. I know they're expensive but they seem worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

santorini-greece.jpg

Advice on galleries to visit in Fira?

I heard that Santorini is a great place for artists and people who admire art. I will be in Santorini for a cruise stop soon, but I will only have time to explore Fira.

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Santorini and, as an enthusiastic art lover, I'm eager to immerse myself in the local art scene. Fira, with its stunning caldera views and charming streets, is on my travel itinerary, and I would love to explore some art galleries while I'm there.

From what I've gathered, Santorini, and Fira in particular, is a hub for vibrant art, showcasing everything from contemporary pieces by local artists to ancient artifacts that narrate the island's rich history. However, with such a plethora of options, it's a bit overwhelming to choose where to start.

Anyone have any advice?

santorini-greece.jpg

Iconic Dress Photo on Santorini

I love the photos I see of people who are wearing that beautiful flowing dress, and the photo is taken with the backdrop of the gorgeous island.

I love the photo and want to do one for myself.

How can I do this? I heard that it is actually a business? Does anyone have any details?

Taking a Boat Tour of Santorini?

I am really excited about my trip to Santorini and wanted to do something different. Was thinking of a boat tour! However, with so many options available, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and would love to hear from those who have experienced boat tours in Santorini before.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about your recommendations for boat tour companies or specific tours that stood out to you. Whether it's a catamaran cruise, a traditional Greek wooden boat excursion, or a luxury yacht experience, I'm open to all suggestions!

What were the highlights of your boat tour? Did you visit iconic landmarks like the volcanic hot springs, the famous Red Beach, or the picturesque island of Thirassia? How was the overall experience in terms of service, safety, and value for money?

Also, any tips or advice on booking the tour, such as the best time of day to go, whether morning, afternoon, or sunset, would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I choose the right tour that fits my preferences and budget.
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back