1 - 6 of 6 Posts

kcixcy

I get a bit confused about the influences and relationship between these two civilizations. How did they impact eachother?

JayJayT

I don't know much, but I do know that there is evidence on Crete from the Minoan excavations that the Minoans had trade contact with Ancient Egypt. Some goods of Egyptian origin have been found at dig sites.

dimi_pat

I don't know much, but I do know that there is evidence on Crete from the Minoan excavations that the Minoans had trade contact with Ancient Egypt. Some goods of Egyptian origin have been found at dig sites.
This is from a blog post that I found "Egyptians and Greeks are known to have been in contact already in the 2nd millennium BC, though we don’t know much about it. The picture becomes clearer from about 600BC, when the sea-faring Greeks were frequent visitors to Egypt. Some of it was for trade (there was a Greek trading-base at Naucratis in Egypt from about this time), some of it was about military services, and some of it was probably just sightseeing. By the 5th– 4th centuries BC Greek intellectuals had a pretty good idea of Egyptian culture." https://blog.oup.com/2016/04/greek-egyptian-interactions-literature/

JayJayT

This is from a blog post that I found "Egyptians and Greeks are known to have been in contact already in the 2nd millennium BC, though we don’t know much about it. The picture becomes clearer from about 600BC, when the sea-faring Greeks were frequent visitors to Egypt. Some of it was for trade (there was a Greek trading-base at Naucratis in Egypt from about this time), some of it was about military services, and some of it was probably just sightseeing. By the 5th– 4th centuries BC Greek intellectuals had a pretty good idea of Egyptian culture." https://blog.oup.com/2016/04/greek-egyptian-interactions-literature/
This is interesting, thank you for sharing this!

Reactions: kcixcy

k_tsoukalas

There might be some information in this article?

amygdalE

Good! At the same time, look closely at the Egyptian art-works in chamber-tombs. Many statuettes that protect royal sarcophagi are clearly of Caucasian females or spirits. Many wall-painted females are Caucasian and are attired in Minoan style. Painted male dignitaries are skin-bronzed but not negroid. The painted negroid people are either soldiers or house-maids. All this abolishes the myth that an African is a negroid person. The very face of the Sphynx is Caucasian. We need to rewrite the history of Egypt. Herodotus recorded what some people used to believe, not an empirical ethnology/

The history of building with stone in Greece

As you may have noticed, many houses in Greece are built with stone (as you'll see in the picture below). Historically, houses in Greece were built with stone because it was readily available and very sturdy. Stone also keeps the houses cool, which is a big problem because it can get very hot and dry in Greece

stone-house-greece1-720x540.jpg

How Greece joined the European Union

After World War II and Greece's Civil War, Greece had the opportunity to build itself back up again and renew it's a economy. A lot of European nations decided that creating a strong union would increase solidarity and improve the economy amongst the countries after World War II. Greece was influenced to sign the agreement and it officially join the European Union in 1981. There was a lot of back-and-forth on whether this was actually a good idea and whether it truly benefitted agrees to join. What do you all think?

European-Union-720x479.jpg

Who was Ioannis Metaxas?

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!

The Greek debt crisis explained

Im not sure if this is the best representation because im not an economist, but just something to help others get a better idea of what happened in 2008 and what Greece is recovering from. We've been through a lot as a culture and a country but we've remained so strong!

What is the best topic for a history paper about Greece?

One of my friends is taking a modern Greek history course, and he's struggling to find a topic for hispaper. I told him about this forum, and I'm thinking that some of you history buffs would have good ideas. The paper is supposed to pinpoint a pivotal moment/change in Greek history and discuss how the leadership and government influenced this change. Any ideas?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter