1 - 4 of 4 Posts

kcixcy

I get a bit confused about the influences and relationship between these two civilizations. How did they impact eachother?

JayJayT

I don't know much, but I do know that there is evidence on Crete from the Minoan excavations that the Minoans had trade contact with Ancient Egypt. Some goods of Egyptian origin have been found at dig sites.

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

I don't know much, but I do know that there is evidence on Crete from the Minoan excavations that the Minoans had trade contact with Ancient Egypt. Some goods of Egyptian origin have been found at dig sites.
This is from a blog post that I found "Egyptians and Greeks are known to have been in contact already in the 2nd millennium BC, though we don’t know much about it. The picture becomes clearer from about 600BC, when the sea-faring Greeks were frequent visitors to Egypt. Some of it was for trade (there was a Greek trading-base at Naucratis in Egypt from about this time), some of it was about military services, and some of it was probably just sightseeing. By the 5th– 4th centuries BC Greek intellectuals had a pretty good idea of Egyptian culture." https://blog.oup.com/2016/04/greek-egyptian-interactions-literature/

JayJayT

This is from a blog post that I found "Egyptians and Greeks are known to have been in contact already in the 2nd millennium BC, though we don’t know much about it. The picture becomes clearer from about 600BC, when the sea-faring Greeks were frequent visitors to Egypt. Some of it was for trade (there was a Greek trading-base at Naucratis in Egypt from about this time), some of it was about military services, and some of it was probably just sightseeing. By the 5th– 4th centuries BC Greek intellectuals had a pretty good idea of Egyptian culture." https://blog.oup.com/2016/04/greek-egyptian-interactions-literature/
This is interesting, thank you for sharing this!

Reactions: kcixcy

Learn about the history of tavli aka my favorite game!

Tavli is an amazing game with a super rich history. The game that we now know as tavli, or backgammon, likely originated about 5,000 years ago in ancient Mesopotamia. Later, the Pharaohs of Egypt were known to have enjoyed a similar game. A board used for playing a game very similar to modern backgammon – called Senet – was discovered in the tomb of Tutankhamen, as well as at archaeological sites throughout Egypt. And now it's played in Greece and all over the world :)

Did you know that a Greek of Alexandria invented the steam engine?

What’s interesting about Hero’s invention is that he created it well before the Industrial Revolution that took place in parts of the world in the 1700’s and 1800’s. This means that the Ancient Greeks were capable of advanced mathematical, scientific, and mechanical thought, which enabled them to see the world differently. This was a huge advancement in society.

steam-engine-720x593.jpg

What is your favorite moment in Greek history?

Drop them in the thread below!! Mine is Oxi day of course!!

A conversation about modern Greek history!

I love watching these types of convos! :) Enjoy and tell me what you think

Here is a little bit about the Greek parliament

This is the history of the Greek parliament: The Hellenic Parliament has been around for almost 180 years, meaning that it has been around for two world wars, multiple civil wars, military dictatorships, and occupations. In 1862, there was a massive rebellion against King Otto in Greece, and the revolt marked the end of the constitutional monarchy. The new leader formed a constitution in 1864, which created a single-chamber Parliament.

Greek-Parliament-720x481.jpeg
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter