1 - 9 of 9 Posts

mastichas09

Its always such a struggle because my family wants to see me and talk to me when I land and I just don't have the energy....I just want to nap! What are your tips for getting rid of the jet lag?

So true!! The first 48 hours of jet lag are the worst part of arriving in Greece, here are my tips :)

- Drink many Greek coffees and/or Frappes as possible.
- Stay awake and try to sleep as close to normal night sleep time.
- Hydrate and drink as much water as possible.

Those of a few things that come to mind that help me get used to the time change. Hope this helps!! 🇬🇷

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
Its always such a struggle because my family wants to see me and talk to me when I land and I just don't have the energy....I just want to nap! What are your tips for getting rid of the jet lag?
You have to be in USA, that's what happens when you are 7-8 hours behind. I'm the opposite to you 7-8 hours ahead so I don't get jetlag going there, I get it when I come back home.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
I just force myself to stay awake with frappe :)

Eat 6 souvlakia 1 yiros and 1kg of ouzo and dance all night.

Reactions: nadellii
We take a nap as soon as we get to the hotel. When we wake up, we go out to eat. Come back and sleep again. Doesn't take too long to get into the swing of things.

Reactions: redsoxdw_
We take a nap as soon as we get to the hotel. When we wake up, we go out to eat. Come back and sleep again. Doesn't take too long to get into the swing of things.
Naps are key to surviving partying and jet lag in Greece

I force myself to not take a nap and stay on the new schedule. It's tough because napping is so fun in Greece. But this is most important on the first day. If I arrive in Greece, exhausted at like 10 AM I have to force myself to stay up and not sleep away my first day. This starts the trip off right!

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back