1 - 9 of 9 Posts

mastichas09

Its always such a struggle because my family wants to see me and talk to me when I land and I just don't have the energy....I just want to nap! What are your tips for getting rid of the jet lag?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
So true!! The first 48 hours of jet lag are the worst part of arriving in Greece, here are my tips :)

- Drink many Greek coffees and/or Frappes as possible.
- Stay awake and try to sleep as close to normal night sleep time.
- Hydrate and drink as much water as possible.

Those of a few things that come to mind that help me get used to the time change. Hope this helps!! 🇬🇷

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

Jerry s

Its always such a struggle because my family wants to see me and talk to me when I land and I just don't have the energy....I just want to nap! What are your tips for getting rid of the jet lag?
You have to be in USA, that's what happens when you are 7-8 hours behind. I'm the opposite to you 7-8 hours ahead so I don't get jetlag going there, I get it when I come back home.

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis

kosta_karapinotis

I just force myself to stay awake with frappe :)

Eat 6 souvlakia 1 yiros and 1kg of ouzo and dance all night.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Yayapap

We take a nap as soon as we get to the hotel. When we wake up, we go out to eat. Come back and sleep again. Doesn't take too long to get into the swing of things.

Reactions: redsoxdw_

redsoxdw_

We take a nap as soon as we get to the hotel. When we wake up, we go out to eat. Come back and sleep again. Doesn't take too long to get into the swing of things.
Naps are key to surviving partying and jet lag in Greece

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I force myself to not take a nap and stay on the new schedule. It's tough because napping is so fun in Greece. But this is most important on the first day. If I arrive in Greece, exhausted at like 10 AM I have to force myself to stay up and not sleep away my first day. This starts the trip off right!

Possible Island Day Trips from Piraeus?

I am going to spend about a week in the Piraeus area accompanying someone on business. I want to amuse myself and thought I would do a couple of island day trips. What do you think, are these possibilities truly doable?

1. Aegina – Aegina is the closest island to Piraeus, making it the most popular and an easy day trip destination. Step back in time and explore the ancient temple of Aphaia, wander around the charming port, and sample delicious pistachios, common on the island.

2. Hydra – This island seems so interesting to me. With its strict preservation laws that prohibit cars and motorbikes, the island is an idyllic haven of serenity and peacefulness.

3. Poros – The island of Poros, separated from the Peloponnese only by a narrow strait, is a popular destination for both tourists and Athenians. Its relaxed atmosphere, dense pine forests, and picturesque town are the main draws. Walk up to the beautiful Lemonodasos (Lemon Forest), go for a swim in one of Poros’s secluded bays, and drop into any of the waterside tavernas for fresh seafood and a traditional Greek coffee.

4. Spetses – Spetses may not be as well known as its Saronic neighbors, but that does not mean it lacks charm. It is a beautiful island with crystal clear waters and stunning beaches. I was thinking of renting a bike and cycle to the lighthouse for the magnificent sunset views or stop by the old port and take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride.

5. Mykonos – The cosmopolitan island of Mykonos is the furthest away from Piraeus but definitely worth the longer ferry ride for a day trip. This one seems a stretch but I am willing to entertain it...

What to pack for an early spring trip to Greece?

I am going to Greece in April. I have only ever gone in the summer. What's the weather like? I'll be in Athens and on Crete.

I am thinking the weather will be on the mild side, so I should pack light layers. Like a light jacket, short sleeve shirts, maybe a few long sleeve.

Is it suitable weather for sandals and the beach?

Do they get rain? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a light rain jacket. I know it doesn't rain that much in Greece.

Thanks in advance!

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT